Microsoft Developing Completely Redesigned Store App for Windows 10

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
microsoft-store-home-1024x576.jpg
Image: Microsoft

Microsoft’s arguably uninspired and unsightly Microsoft Store app is getting a complete makeover. The news comes from Windows Central, which reported that the redesign will not only introduce a modern and fluid user interface but make it easier for developers to bring Win32 apps to the Windows 10 store. Microsoft’s new Store app is expected to launch this fall with popular first-party apps such as Teams, Office, Edge, and Visual Studio.

Microsoft is planning to revitalize the Store app on Windows 10 with a new UI and relaxed policies for desktop app developers 👀 https://t.co/xGRz3f8ewN— Windows Central (@windowscentral) April 20, 2021

Microsoft wants to position the Store as an open platform that allows for the best apps on...

Continue reading...

Hmm, wonder if they will be changing the arcane installation methods apps received from the Store are installed?

How about making it easier for users to install games, and mod them? Like for instance don't ****ing install games in hidden folders on my system drive. Then deny me the right to even read those folders :mad:

Sheesh, about time. I'm so tired of Steam's monopoly for creative mods, etc. (and GoG mostly focus on oldies and EGS will take more time) or MS just needs to purchase Steam (MS has most of its exclusivs there anyway now) or GoG and be done with it.

How about making it easier for users to install games, and mod them? Like for instance don't ****ing install games in hidden folders on my system drive. Then deny me the right to even read those folders :mad:
One of the things they're doing is allowing developers to upload Win32 apps without the need to be packaged in a MSIX. Reading the FAQ on MSIX is hilarious because in my experience, none of the things they boast about have been true.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/msix/overview

One of the things they're doing is allowing developers to upload Win32 apps without the need to be packaged in a MSIX. Reading the FAQ on MSIX is hilarious because in my experience, none of the things they boast about have been true.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/msix/overview
It sounds like a deplyoment platform for <100mb support applications inside organizations that all share a ton of dependencies, not for 60GB games.

I've only used it for XBGP, and it's far and away my biggest criticism of XBGP.

I'd probably stay subbed to it if it weren't for the fact that it treats my local storage like a dumpster and locks me out of my own files.

I forget that Xbox game pass is available for PC these days.

Years ago, that might have interested me, but I don't buy games as much as I used to. I hoard them, but I only play a few titles when I have time.

That's what happens when you are 50 with a three month old. No time for some things.

Yeah, it was unforseen.... Sheik has gotten a nasty letter about questionable quality control.

Probably works for Microsoft on the weekends

It sounds like a deplyoment platform for <100mb support applications inside organizations that all share a ton of dependencies, not for 60GB games.
Even for the applications that are small in size I can still download something, install, and manage it myself often quicker than the simple process of downloading something small from the Microsoft Store takes. Their deployment system sounds really good on paper, but it fails to deliver in almost every way. I hate to say it, but maybe Microsoft should just be taking notes from Valve instead of trying to make everything overly complicated and opaque to the user.

Become a Patron!
Back