Microsoft Discontinues 12-Month Xbox Live Gold Subscription Plans

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
xbox-live-logo-1024x576.jpg
Image: Microsoft

Traditionally, gamers have been able to purchase one-month, three-month, or year-long subscription packages for Microsoft’s premium online multiplayer service, Xbox Live Gold, but things are changing. In a statement to TrueAchievements, Microsoft confirmed that it has ended 12-month Xbox Live Gold subscriptions.

“At this time, Xbox has decided to remove the 12 months Xbox Live Gold SKU from the Microsoft online Store,” a Microsoft spokesperson said. “Customers can still sign up for a one month or three month Xbox Live Gold subscription online through the Microsoft Store.”

Why is Microsoft doing this? We have no idea, but it might have something to do with the advent and increasing popularity of its newer, Netflix-like subscription service, Xbox Game Pass, which grants gamers a...

Continue reading...

Well if history is any good indicator of the future then we all know M$ isn't exactly known for making smart decisions.

This is how you kill Xbox live gold. Turn down subscriptions until everyone is on month to month then just convert them to the new service for a better price. The once everyone is on it incrementally turn the price up to the limit consumers will pay.

Hoping it's a case where MS is allowing online play without Xbox Live, and moving the paid content (Xbox Gold Deals, Game Pass, etc) into their Ultimate Game Pass service.

I know it's hard to see MS being that pro-consumer, but they're in a underdog situation right now. They need to land as many hits as they can on Sony early on to recapture their 360 glory days. So far, they've been doing everything right for their new console (hardware-wise). July 23rd should be a big day for them; If they can demonstrate they're going to have killer software alongside their hardware.

Hoping it's a case where MS is allowing online play without Xbox Live, and moving the paid content (Xbox Gold Deals, Game Pass, etc) into their Ultimate Game Pass service.

I know it's hard to see MS being that pro-consumer, but they're in a underdog situation right now. They need to land as many hits as they can on Sony early on to recapture their 360 glory days. So far, they've been doing everything right for their new console (hardware-wise). July 23rd should be a big day for them; If they can demonstrate they're going to have killer software alongside their hardware.
I hope this is the case as well, otherwise you'll have to essentially pay $100 a year for multiplayer going forward with Game Pass Ultimate. I assume it will be too much to ask to finally eliminate ads for Ultimate subscribers...

Become a Patron!
Back