Microsoft Rolls Out Start Menu Ads for Windows 11 Users

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Microsoft has rolled out a new KB5036980 update for Windows 11, and with it comes an updated version of the Start menu that now includes ads for apps from a small set of developers.

See full article...

...this is why I block every domain related to Microsoft on my network. Every single one.

edit
Well except the one that allows me to play Minecraft. haha

I like how you get the option to turn off "Recommended" things in the start menu, but it still shows this crap:

1714147005554.png

The start menu has been totally useless to me since Win8 - I only use it so that I can type in whatever I'm looking for - a text input box would be better served. For everything that I use commonly, I just keep desktop shortcuts like a looser.

To be honest I've found the thing to turn them off but on windows 11 pro I've never even seen a hint of an ad. So maybe that's something?

Total bullshit.

If I can't turn them off I'm done with Microsoft.

If they come back on on their own after I disable them, I am done with Microsoft.

If I am forced to have a Microsoft account to use Windows, I am done with Microsoft.

If I find out that Windows is collecting my data against my wishes, I am done with Microsoft.

Guess you are done with Microsoft as a whole then, better sell anything you have made by Microsoft hardware and software, and never buy anything from them ever again.

Guess you are done with Microsoft as a whole then, better sell anything you have made by Microsoft hardware and software, and never buy anything from them ever again.

Well. The only Microsoft hardware I own these days is an Arc mouse. It's pretty handy to have in my laptop bag due to the little space it takes in the "off" position, but I could easily get rid of it.

The only other place I use anything Microsoft outside of work is my dedicated game dual boot on my desktop. I haven't seen any ads there yet, but honestly, I haven't really had time to boot it up in a couple of months now.

I'm pretty close to being Microsoft free (outside of work) as it is, so taking it the next step isn't that big of a deal.

Windows is definitely collecting data about you. It's one of the top blocked domains on my pi-hole.

1714427882119.png

The interesting thing about this is that I don't even have a facebook account or use facebook, yet it's one of the top companies blocked on my network.

I also don't have a microsoft account or use any of their services other than when I play Minecraft (which I haven't played in over a month)

This is just the last 7 days.

Become a Patron!
Back