Microsoft Shows Off Automatic Super Resolution, the First OS-Integrated, AI-Based Super Resolution Tech for Gaming

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Microsoft's DirectX Developer Blog has been updated with a new article detailing Automatic Super Resolution (Auto SR), the world's first OS-integrated, AI-based super resolution tech for gaming, and with it comes several examples that show how the new technology compares to the current options on the market, including AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution, Intel XeSS, and NVIDIA DLSS.

See full article...

So, it works on existing games, so I'm assuming its driver based, it doesn't say all games or DX12 only so compatibility is anyones guess. Also, MS says that only ARM/Qualcomm Copilot+ PCs are supported, apparently it will work with x86 pcs with nvidia/intel/amd cards. Thing is, it seems ASR is IA based so AMD is probably out at least for the 5000-7000 series.

On a side note, borderlands 3 @36fps 1440p ASR running via emulation on ARM is quite impressive.

Is this the one that only works on the ARM PCs right now?

If that's the case - then I can see why they are doing it - to help hide the emulation layer.

A thing that nobody asked for and nobody wants, typical microsoft.
Remember what a sh1t-show HDR became after Microsoft wrest control of it from the GPU manufacturers and GPU drivers and threw it into the OS?

Yyeeaahh if I want to use upscaling, I'll use the one provided by the graphics card makers. You know, the ones that actually understand how the hardware works, cuz they make both the hardware and the drivers. But thanks anyways Microsoft. I'll actually be grateful if maybe you can actually leave out stuff like Copilot and all the other tumors that Windows has grown lately.

I'm interested in how game devs and artists will feel about the alteration of their games' graphics without their input.
Feeling great I presume, why waste precious resources trying to optimize your game when you can make it perform better at a flip of a switch?

Become a Patron!
Back