Microsoft Surface Laptop 4 Will Reportedly Feature AMD Ryzen 5 4680U and Ryzen 7 4980U Options

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
microsoft-surface-laptop-3-pair-sand-1024x576.jpg
Image: Microsoft

Microsoft’s upcoming lineup of Surface Laptops will reportedly feature AMD Ryzen 5 4680U and AMD Ryzen 7 4980U processors. The rumor comes from German tech site WinFuture, which published a Surface Laptop 4 specifications table listing these two specially designed “Surface Edition” SKUs as CPU options. Microsoft’s new Surface Laptops will also be available with Intel’s 11th Gen Core i5-1145G7 and i7-1185G7 processors.

“[…] there is talk of the AMD Ryzen 5 4680U, while the AMD Ryzen 7 4980U should be used in the higher-priced models,” WinFuture reported. “In both cases, it is again so-called ‘Surface Edition’ chips, which have undergone some adjustments for use in Microsoft’s Surface devices. Both the 13-inch and the 15-inch model are to be offered in corresponding variants.”

“With the use of...

Continue reading...

Just got a Surface Laptop 3 13.5" from work.

Decent machine, easily liken it to an XPS 13, though perhaps a tad thinner / lighter than those.

Jury's still out on the keyboard, touchpad is marvelous as expected, sound is well above average, and I'll probably never know about the camera as it earned an electrical tape cover due to the lack of a mechanical shutter (boo).

Otherwise battery life is nice, screen is nice but a bit awkward in terms of scaling, and the lack of ports is a primary annoyance.

As for AMD, well... drivers better be there for the GPU. Last time I looked there were multiple credible reports of content-creation apps being crash-happy on AMD APUs, and at that time I was really interested in a ~14" APU-only setup. The XPS 15 I have now is a compromise with higher weight, size, and battery draw than I was looking for.

Become a Patron!
Back