Microsoft’s Big Windows Announcement Is Rumored to Be Windows 11

I'm ok with a subscription honestly. If i think about it realistically - I've been doing that anyway buying the major releases. Sure, that way I have the option of not buying the next release and sitting... but honestly, do I? Once security updates and such stop, you either pay up and move on, or get obliterated in malware and left behind on driver and software support. So you only have the illusion of delaying that payment, not eliminating it.
That is not nearly the same thing. In one you have a choice of when you upgrade or if you upgrade at all or did you forget skipping vista, 8, whatever?
And at my work most computers still run Windows 7, and frankly they have the same amount of malware problems as the computers running 10: Zero.

There are three other options, I suppose, that we aren't really discussing.
I don't really care what options MS gives us, Windows is already pervasive enough, if the only option is to subscribe or pirate, I'll choose the latter, not because I can't afford a $10 subscription fee, but because I Don't want to be an indebted servant of MS. My computer is my home, nobody else decides what I do on it when and how. The same reason I'd never buy a tesla like vehicle that they can turn features on off remotely on.

This is really getting close to: You missed your payment deadline by 3 days, shutting down your lung in 3...2...1....

When people start a sentence with " to be fair" or "let's be honest" it usually means they don't really believe what they are going to say either.
Quite true, but I used the phrase honestly in this case.
What was wrong with the system that you bought an OS for $80-100 used it for 3-4 years then bought the next version. Nobody asked ms to give away windows 10 for free, or to make it the "last" windows. This is a problem entirely of their own making. MS is making your computer theirs, and a subscription based OS further advances that agenda, as you will no longer be able to use your computer without constantly paying MS.
Not being able to 'use' the computer without paying MS is probably not where they're going with this; it's unlikely that MS would build a model where constant internet connection is required.

The big issue is that keeping OSs updated is expensive. MS doesn't tie OSs to purchases of MS hardware like Apple does for Mac OS, thus they need a different means to offset the cost of security updates. And that's fair, as we consumers shouldn't expect something for nothing.
I know it is cliché by now, but if MS really goes the subscribe or die route with consumer windows, I really expect an uptick in linux installations. And piracy.
There's already an 'uptick', especially if you count ChromeOS (which is debatable, admittedly). But more to the point, what MS brings is what cannot be done on Linux. Even Microsoft themselves reduce that list every year but for desktop users, especially in corporate environments, there's really very little alternative that addresses the usability, compatibility, and security infrastructure enabled by the whole Microsoft stack.

And that security side is getting more onerous by the month; sure, Linux is probably more secure in terms of being a single exposed machine left to default settings - and that's also pretty distribution dependent as well - but it's not really the OS that presents the majority of risk, it's the applications. Microsoft is no saint there either, but when most FOSS stuff is developed and managed in public repositories by semi-anonymous contributors, you get something like the SolarWinds hack happening all over again.

I don't want my desktop to go anywhere especially not on my mobile devices. And I never asked for cloud storage, that I especially don't trust, or find useful, since my upload speed is 20mbit on a good day.
Not sure what you're getting at exactly, so I'll clarify my point a bit: I can get full-fat MS Office on a desktop (Windows or Mac, for the moment), and then do less intensive edits or just plain viewing anywhere. That's portability. If I were to use Linux (and the gods know I've tried!), I'd either have to use a less powerful / less performant web version of MS Office or deal with eventual compatibility issues. I couldn't even get a table to come over from Word properly last time I tried OpenOffice. Promptly rebooted back into Windows.

Again, admittedly that's Microsoft's fault with respect to their file formats, but on the other hand they are actually expanding features for their Office suite too.

As far as 'cloud' goes, it's really just server-side storage with integrated layers of redundancy and protection. Obviously if it's online it's online, but 'cloud' doesn't mean that something has to be off-premises. Private clouds are a thing, and for example, my employer runs several inside our intranet, and has contracts for several external ones as well. Those that have been issued phones absolutely make use of the functionality.

On a personal level, I guess it depends. Realistically your 'information' has already been mined; yes, putting it in the cloud makes that easier, but again, you'd have to keep your stuff air-gapped (literally) to have any chance of privacy.

I know it is cliché by now, but if MS really goes the subscribe or die route with consumer windows, I really expect an uptick in linux installations. And piracy.

If there was a new Linux user for everytime people claim users will switch to linux en masse after every new windows version comes out, linux would have the biggest market share... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: 🤣 🤣

If there was a new Linux user for everytime people claim users will switch to linux en masse after every new windows version comes out, linux would have the biggest market share... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: 🤣 🤣
I'm still in the 'por que no los dos' category myself :D

Right tool for the job, really. If I need a GUI for applications (and not just ease of administration, where necessary), that pushes me away from Linux. If it's a box that does work, then it's probably better off on Linux, GUI or no.

And on the XPS 15 that I'm typing on, I have installed to metal:
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • Fedora 34 Cinnamon
  • Ubuntu 21.04 (had to try it)
  • Mint Cinnamon 20
  • Parrot OS
  • Some OpenSUSE Tumbleweed derivative
Only the OpenSUSE derivative is non-functional, and that only because it decided that it no longer knows how to use the Intel WiFI module in the laptop...

When people start a sentence with " to be fair" or "let's be honest" it usually means they don't really believe what they are going to say either.

I use these statements a fair bit. When I do, it's in one of two situations, which can be related but aren't necessarily linked:

Either what I am trying to convey has a strong or obvious counter argument that I'm just trying to acknowledge and set aside to further the topic, and/or is just contrary to the popular opinion and I'd like folks to just pause and consider what I'm saying for a moment before just dismissing it.

Sometimes I'm just playing devil's advocate because the discussion is fun, but most times I do believe what it is I'm saying when I use those statements.

It's the year of Linux... To be honest, I had to say it. Lets be fair, you know it's coming. /s

So what do we know about this variation? New Direct X, more ads, visually stimulating? Do we have to upgrade, or do we get the paperclip popping up every ten minutes?

Does it come with Freecell?

So what do we know about this variation?
Nothing, really.

And in essence, while much has been iterated since Windows 7, little has been truly changed. There's just not much more needed from a 'desktop' OS, in my opinion.

It's the year of Linux... To be honest, I had to say it. Lets be fair, you know it's coming. /s
Ya gotta specific desktop Linux; the year of Linux alone has long passed, as even Microsoft is using it!

Not being able to 'use' the computer without paying MS is probably not where they're going with this; it's unlikely that MS would build a model where constant internet connection is required.
It's not about constant internet requirement. It's about constant payment. You miss an automatic payment because your card expired or whatever other reason, and you come home to find your computer reverted to a basic state, and you cannot use it properly. My computer is essential, I expect it to be available all the time, I don't want to be at the mercy of a 3rd party whether my computer will work as expected or not. Which sadly I'm already at due to forced windows feature updates.

The big issue is that keeping OSs updated is expensive. MS doesn't tie OSs to purchases of MS hardware like Apple does for Mac OS, thus they need a different means to offset the cost of security updates. And that's fair, as we consumers shouldn't expect something for nothing.
As said, entirely a problem of their own making, nobody forced them to offer windows 10 for free, and then claim it the final windows version.

There's already an 'uptick', especially if you count ChromeOS (which is debatable, admittedly). But more to the point, what MS brings is what cannot be done on Linux. Even Microsoft themselves reduce that list every year but for desktop users, especially in corporate environments, there's really very little alternative that addresses the usability, compatibility, and security infrastructure enabled by the whole Microsoft stack.
I'm not talking about the corporate environment, but as a home user. Most corporations already pay some sort of recurring fee, even if they use linux.

And that security side is getting more onerous by the month; sure, Linux is probably more secure in terms of being a single exposed machine left to default settings - and that's also pretty distribution dependent as well - but it's not really the OS that presents the majority of risk, it's the applications. Microsoft is no saint there either, but when most FOSS stuff is developed and managed in public repositories by semi-anonymous contributors, you get something like the SolarWinds hack happening all over again.
Being public actually helps security imo, not hinders it. In proprietary software vulnerabilities can fester for years before being exposed to the public.

Not sure what you're getting at exactly, so I'll clarify my point a bit: I can get full-fat MS Office on a desktop (Windows or Mac, for the moment), and then do less intensive edits or just plain viewing anywhere. That's portability. If I were to use Linux (and the gods know I've tried!), I'd either have to use a less powerful / less performant web version of MS Office or deal with eventual compatibility issues. I couldn't even get a table to come over from Word properly last time I tried OpenOffice. Promptly rebooted back into Windows.
You said:
Especially when all of that goes wherever you go, including other types of computing devices like tablets and phones?
That's why I wrote I don't want my desktop to go anywhere, what I do on my desktop stays on my desktop.
I've had problems with openoffice as well, but I've been so satisfied with libreoffice recently that as said I gladly use it over the fully bloated office experience.

As far as 'cloud' goes, it's really just server-side storage with integrated layers of redundancy and protection. Obviously if it's online it's online, but 'cloud' doesn't mean that something has to be off-premises. Private clouds are a thing, and for example, my employer runs several inside our intranet, and has contracts for several external ones as well. Those that have been issued phones absolutely make use of the functionality.
Cloud is just a buzzword for remote storage that you pay for, it's not really new. And local cloud is basically just a glorified NAS. I'm not saying it is not easier to use to noobs, what I'm saying is I don't need or want it. But ms is forcing it on me as part of the service then nagging me to use it.

On a personal level, I guess it depends. Realistically your 'information' has already been mined; yes, putting it in the cloud makes that easier, but again, you'd have to keep your stuff air-gapped (literally) to have any chance of privacy.
There is a difference between your meta profile being out there or your entire data. There is no such thing as secure cloud, some admin, somewhere will have full access to your data. The only real protection is the amount of data on cloud storage which makes it unlikely for anyone to be interested in your personal files. Unless there is a targeted attack on your person. Which in today's cancel culture is a possibility.

Ain't touching office 365, ever. They can keep that glorious service for themselves. It does fascinate me how they are making millions stacked upon millions by switching to the service model. Same adobe... People love a recurring payment!! I dread them down to my bones.

At this day and age, Windows should be free to all. As should broadband Internet.

Have the Gov pay for it. With our taxes.

At this day and age, Windows should be free to all. As should broadband Internet.

Have the Gov pay for it. With our taxes.
There is no such thing as free. You said it yourself, the Gov would have to pay it with taxes

Office 365 is nice. I use excel for a lot of stuff outside of work. Really if I didn't do that I wouldn't need it. But I have made use of the cloud storage for documents and such. For me I find it very handy. And being able to move collections of pdfs and such to the cloud and off my local computer is actually quite nice. I suppose I'm not your typical user.

Well, today is the day. Regale us Microsoft with wonderments beyond the dreams of Avarice.....

How much is the subscription?

Android app in Windows? Not really new. I've been doing that in chrome already.

Bringing back widgets.... Yeah

Become a Patron!
Back