MoviePass Relaunching This Summer with Eye-Tracking Technology, Users Watch Ads to Earn Credits for Movies

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
moviepass-1024x576.jpg
Image: MoviePass

MoviePass, the relatively short-lived service that allowed theatergoers to watch an unlimited number of movies with a flat fee before shutting down in 2019, is planning a revival this summer with some potentially controversial technologies.

As reported by Motherboard, MoviePass 2.0 will be very different from its predecessor for not only being a web3-style application, but one that allows users to watch ads to earn credits for movies. There’s a significant catch, however: users need to keep their smartphone cameras out, as MoviePass will be tracking their eyeballs to ensure they are actually watching the advertisements.

MoviePass 2.0’s relaunch was detailed by co-founder Stacy Spikes last week, who took to the stage at the Walter Reade Theater at Lincoln Center in NYC to convince moviegoers and investors as to why the new iteration of the service won’t be a...

Continue reading...

I wonder if it's good enough to detect a picture of somebody's face, or a looping video.

I had cinema pass for a while... it was alright. Never got into the moviepass version.

And if I don't have a camera on my PC??
"...users need to keep their smartphone cameras out, as MoviePass will be tracking their eyeballs to ensure they are actually watching the advertisements."

Which is some hilarious bullsh1t.

What does it do if it catches you not watching?

They send out a crew to strap you in a chair and tape your eyes open, like Mel Gibson in Conspiracy Theory.

Then they give you the gravy.
Oh man not the gravy! <-- Loved that movie BTW.

Become a Patron!
Back