MSI SPATIUM M480 2TB HS PCIe 4.0 Gen4 NVMe SSD Review

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
msi_m480_hs_banner1-1024x300.png

Introduction

The MSI SPATIUM M480 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 HS SSD is MSI’s top-of-the-line, top-tier, most feature-rich, hardware complete, highest performance gaming enthusiast SSD, and we are going to review it. 

MSI’s SPATIUM line of SSDs is new, so new that it was only just launched in early August 2021.  We just recently reviewed our first MSI SPATIUM SSD in our MSI SPATIUM M470 1TB PCIe 4.0 Gen4 NVMe SSD review.  It was a top-performer Gen4x4 NVMe 1.3 SSD based on its specifications. 

Today, we have an even faster SSD, the MSI SPATIUM...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if the small file latency performance that you noticed with this drive is also present in other 2TB drives (even PCIe3 drives). I know that my Inland 2TB PCIe3 drive has a tendency to run slower than usual with small file transfers.

I definitely need a wider base to determine that, so right now, I cannot come to a conclusion on it, without a larger sample size. As we review more SSDs of various capacities and generational performance levels, we'll be able to see what is the norm, and what is not. As we review new SSDs, we add them to these same graphs, so the graphs will continue to grow, and grow, and grow. This is our first, very first, NVMe 1.4 SSD review, first review using the Phison E18 controller, and the first time I have personally experienced this incredible 7000MB/s / 6800MB/s read/write generation of performance.

So I am building a new rig with a custom water loop. Looking at NVME drives to go with I think this will be the one I buy in the next week or two, unless something better drops by then. Would a water block on the NVME drive benefit this drive any or do you think the stock heatsink will suffice?

My water loop will have 3x 360mm radiators and it's only cooling the CPU (5950x) and GPU (3080Ti or 3090, which ever I can get my hands on) so I will have plenty of extra cooling capacity.

Become a Patron!
Back