NBA 2K1’s Next-Gen Pricing ($69.99) Could Be Made Worse by “Unskippable” Ads

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nba-2k21-next-gen-key-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: 2K Games

The idea of paying $69.99 for an annual sports game seems excessive enough, but can you imagine if it had advertisements that you were forced to watch? Sadly, that is shaping up to be a reality for NBA 2K fans who are jumping into the next generation of consoles.According to various posts on social media (via NeoGAF), 2K Games has reintroduced – yes, it’s happened before – “unskippable” (loading screen) ads into its premier basketball franchise. A video shared by Okami13_ (via...

Continue reading...

Yeah...

I don’t really mind the price tag - charge what you want really. I’ll buy it if I think it’s worth that. Or I won’t. That all gets fixed in the free market.

But so can all but guarantee I will not pay for something only to have ads thrown in on top of the purchase price. I cut the cable cord for that exact reason.

Last edited:
Agreed. I will never buy a game that forces me to watch ads like that.

Ad during ' loading screen' on a no loading time console... Genius!!
The revenue trilogy of games high price, ads and micro transactions.
Millions will eat it up.

Lol.

Imagine buying a quickly rehashed game based on the same game from previous years but with this years player names and lineups, for an incredibly high price of $70, and now to add insult to injury it has ads.

Are these people developmentally disabled? I am talking both about the studio/publisher and the customers.

I'm guessing most of this money goes to licensing deals with the league and players. Nothing else makes sense to me.

Lol.

Imagine buying a quickly rehashed game based on the same game from previous years but with this years player names and lineups, for an incredibly high price of $70, and now to add insult to injury it has ads.

Are these people developmentally disabled? I am talking both about the studio/publisher and the customers.

I'm guessing most of this money goes to licensing deals with the league and players. Nothing else makes sense to me.
Been saying for years that sports games should just have the base game that gets updated regularly with annual major updates tied to a seasonal update that they can charge $40-$50 for to cover licensing and developmental costs. But that would make too much sense in today's digital world. The one genre that makes perfect sense as a GaaS and it still follows the old world model.

Only time I play these games is when Sony gives them away with PS+

Become a Patron!
Back