Netflix Releases First Teaser for Extraction 2, Bringing Chris Hemsworth’s Tyler Rake Back from the Dead

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
netflix-extraction-key-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: Netflix

Despite his character taking a bullet to the neck at the end of the original film, Chris Hemsworth will be back as Australian black ops mercenary Tyler Rake in the sequel to Netflix’s hugely popular 2020 action thriller, Extraction. The streamer announced Extraction 2 today with the release of a new and official Tudum teaser, confirming that Rake somehow managed to survive following his successful and action-packed attempt at rescuing an Indian drug lord’s kidnapped son within the confines of Dhaka, Bangladesh, even after being double-crossed.

It’s not a total surprise that Extraction 2 is getting a sequel, as the original ended up being one of Netflix’s most popular movies. Actually, it represents the most-watched Netflix film of all time, having pulled in 99 million viewers within its first four weeks of debut.

From Netflix:

In 2020, the...

Continue reading...

He wasn't dead... did the people who write the source material NOT watch the movie?

And just one other note.

"It’s not a total surprise that Extraction 2 is getting a sequel, as the original ended up being one of Netflix’s most popular movies. Actually, it represents the most-watched Netflix film of all time, having pulled in 99 million viewers within its first four weeks of debut."

Uhhh Extraction 2 isn't getting a sequel according to this article. Unless that was a hidden nod to there being a 2nd and 3rd movie being shot all at once.

The ending was actually somewhat ambiguous as you don't see Tyler Rake clearly in the final shot.

I've just watched the first one thanks to the enormous praise it got, but it's nothing special. It's an average action flick, nothing egregiously wrong with it, and it doesn't re-invent the wheel, or does anything exceptional. It could serve as a new golden standard for being average and unremarkable.

I vaguely recall watching this. I don't remember it being exceptional one way or the other. But I guess I'd watch another one.

What made the movie great was its action sequences which are largely done in continuous takes without a lot of editing. It's in the same vein as the famous Daredevil hallway fight scene. The action is fast paced and graphic while still being clear enough to see what's going on. The action is what separates an otherwise ordinary flick from its contemporaries.

It's also well paced with no wasted scenes, dialog or exposition. It's easy to follow, but a bit more complex than one might expect on the surface. The film is wonderfully shot and the gun play is exceptionally well done. In this regard its similar to John Wick, but its more grounded than those films have gotten. Little things I noticed was the characters use of his AR-15/M4 was on semi-automatic mode almost exclusively with full auto fire being restricted to one scene where he's essentially creating havoc to draw troops away from the extraction site.

Suppressor sounds are closer to the way they are in real life, reloads are done where they should be. He attempts to conserve ammunition, etc. I think it's a decent action movie on its own, but for gun guys like me its very satisfying to watch with its exceptional attention to detail and its well crafted and well shot action sequences.

What made the movie great was its action sequences which are largely done in continuous takes without a lot of editing. It's in the same vein as the famous Daredevil hallway fight scene. The action is fast paced and graphic while still being clear enough to see what's going on. The action is what separates an otherwise ordinary flick from its contemporaries.
Yeah except it is fake continous shots with lots of cgi and hidden cuts. And since in CGI everything is cheap they end up overdoing it. The continous shots where the camera flies between cgi cars and even through them become cheesy after the novelty wore off.
It's also well paced with no wasted scenes, dialog or exposition. It's easy to follow, but a bit more complex than one might expect on the surface. The film is wonderfully shot and the gun play is exceptionally well done. In this regard its similar to John Wick, but its more grounded than those films have gotten. Little things I noticed was the characters use of his AR-15/M4 was on semi-automatic mode almost exclusively with full auto fire being restricted to one scene where he's essentially creating havoc to draw troops away from the extraction site.

Suppressor sounds are closer to the way they are in real life, reloads are done where they should be. He attempts to conserve ammunition, etc. I think it's a decent action movie on its own, but for gun guys like me its very satisfying to watch with its exceptional attention to detail and its well crafted and well shot action sequences.
Well it's hard to call a film grounded where the protagonist takes on an entire army. I think in the absence of good movies even a mediocre one seems great. That's what is going on here. As far as entertainment value goes this is far bellow the best action flicks. Even within netflix standards I enjoyed Atomic Blonde far more.

Even within netflix standards I enjoyed Atomic Blonde far more.

I enjoyed Atomic Blonde, the environment and the action scenes were good. I also like it when actor types do or least attempt most of their own stunts. I need to watch it again bc I don't exactly remember the ending.

Become a Patron!
Back