New Samsung Odyssey G7 Monitor with 4K IPS Panel, 144 Hz Refresh Rate, and HDMI 2.1 Surfaces

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
samsung-odyssey-g7-monitor-s28ag700-1024x576.jpg
Image: Samsung

A new Odyssey G7 monitor has been listed at Samsung’s German site. The S28AG700 is a 28-inch display with a 4K UHD IPS panel, 144 Hz refresh rate, response time of 1 ms, DisplayHDR 400 certification, and support for both NVIDIA G-SYNC and AMD FreeSync Premium Pro technologies for tear-free gameplay. Samsung’s new Odyssey G7 monitor also features a flat screen unlike the other members of the Odyssey G7 family, which utilize panels with a 1000R curvature.

Image: Samsung

A flicker-free WLED backlight offers 90% DCI-P3 coverage...

Continue reading...

Other than HDR400 it checks a lot of boxes. Some will say 28” is too small for 4K, but that’s exactly the size I want

Other than HDR400 it checks a lot of boxes.
HD400 --> not even trying to fake HDR.

That's not a bad thing really, since you generally use these monitors by turning off local dimming and forgetting that it exists in the first place. Main positive with these has nothing to do with HDR, too: having dimming zones that are 'matched' means that backlights are potentially more even.
Some will say 28” is too small for 4K, but that’s exactly the size I want
I'd say it's fine. It is too small if you're going to run without scaling, even 32" is too small for that (ask me how I know). But with 150% scaling, it's actually perfect, because that's just 1440p (exactly, if you do the math). So at normal viewing distances, it's just a really sharp "1440p" monitor, and there ain't nothing wrong with that!

HD400 --> not even trying to fake HDR.

That's not a bad thing really, since you generally use these monitors by turning off local dimming and forgetting that it exists in the first place. Main positive with these has nothing to do with HDR, too: having dimming zones that are 'matched' means that backlights are potentially more even.

I'd say it's fine. It is too small if you're going to run without scaling, even 32" is too small for that (ask me how I know). But with 150% scaling, it's actually perfect, because that's just 1440p (exactly, if you do the math). So at normal viewing distances, it's just a really sharp "1440p" monitor, and there ain't nothing wrong with that!

Except for the cost right?

I guess that's the big question. Between this and the AU Optronics 32" OLED there are starting to be some monitors worth me getting excited about.

But price is the big variable. Right now the more or less standard is the 48" CX, at $1,500 +/-. I wouldn't pay more than that for either of these, but I'm willing to bet at least MSRP will come out through the roof, because "Gaming" automatically equates to $$$. Time will tell if the price adjusts or not.

Who knows where that falls. Agree that it's the differentiator, and that these panels can easily start at overpriced and skip right on over to extreme depending on whether the exec flipping the coin was snorting coke off the golf cart fenders or just toking up between sets.

Is this using a LG Nano panel? Probably not but hope Samsung upgraded their IPS with their QLED designs. Anyways HDR 400, forget it. I will wait until a real upgrade becomes available.

Samsung upgraded their IPS
Big thing is that IPS is actually... an LG thing. Thus my first comment up above.
QLED designs
This is just an obfuscation of 'LCD'.
Anyways HDR 400, forget it
HDR400 just means... LCD without special backlights, but still able to receive and process HDR-coded signals.

The only thing special here is that Samsung appears to be using an LG LCD panel, which makes sense given that they have stated that they're getting out of the LCD business ASAP.

Become a Patron!
Back