New Superman Film in Development at Warner Bros. with Ta-Nehisi Coates Writing, J.J. Abrams Producing

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
man-of-steel-logo-1024x576.jpg
Image: Warner Bros.

A new Superman film is in development at Warner Bros. The news comes from African entertainment website Shadow and Act, which received exclusive statements confirming that the potential reboot was being written and produced by Ta-Nehisi Coates and J.J. Abrams, respectively. Coates is an acclaimed author and essayist who, in addition to various bestsellers such as The Beautiful Struggle and Between the World and Me, wrote comic book series for Black Panther (2016–2018) and Captain America (2018–2020) for Marvel Comics.

“To be invited into the DC Extended Universe by Warner Bros., DC Films and Bad Robot is an honor,” said Coates in a statement sent to Shadow and Act. “I look forward to meaningfully adding to the legacy of America’s most iconic mythic hero.”

“There is a new...

Continue reading...

Wait a minute .. isn't Black Superman .... Muhamad Ali?!

"...with Ta-Nehisi Coates writing,"

Into the trash it goes.

"...with Ta-Nehisi Coates writing,"

Into the trash it goes.
Maybe I'm living under a rock - I have no idea who this is, and when I tried to look it up, I didn't recognize anything he had done. Looks like a journalist who penned a couple of comics once? Nothing prolific, and no movie experience that I could see though.

Great... so it will be in space... and deal with some super death meteorite that will blow up the world... problem is it's core is made from Kryptonite, so Superman will have to make some ultimate sacrifice move to take it out, but we already know he can because he launched a ISLAND MADE OUT OF CRYPTONITE into space. So I think we will be fine on that front.

Sorry I'm just over some of these hot directors right now. They are more about "Look at this new Trick that's better than Director X's trick!" instead of telling a good story.

I really look forward to glossy superman in space movie 3. Or was that Star Trek... Wait was it Star War's.. I'm confused.

Maybe I'm living under a rock - I have no idea who this is, and when I tried to look it up, I didn't recognize anything he had done. Looks like a journalist who penned a couple of comics once? Nothing prolific, and no movie experience that I could see though.
Can't get into it without getting political.

When it comes to DC universe stuff, I don't have high expectations to begin with, so maybe it will work out?

This will probably be the usual DC dumpster fire given the exact reason this is even being made in the first place. Not only that, but we've seen examples of what happens when you take writers with little to no writing experience (certainly none within the genre) and use them for DC properties. Supergirl, Batwoman etc. are good examples of what we can expect from this.

What baffles me is that the higher ups at DC haven't figured out why they've failed at nearly every turn in recent years. They've had more failures than successes over the last ten years. While DC has had some luck on the TV front, this same type of direction behind the scenes has been utterly disastrous. That's about all I can say without delving into the political side of things.

The writer has no prior screenwriting experience, and his books were non-fiction. How the hell does that get you a gig like this? If I cared about Superman to begin with this would make me angry.

I don't see this as being good going forward.

What DC needs to do is take a long hard look at why their Animated features are doing so well and are so well received. Then take THAT type of style and direction and understanding of the work and apply it to their live action products. THEN they might be more successful.

I’m surprised DC hasn’t just pivoted to being a darker, grittier Marvel

The proof will be in the Directors Cut of the last movie to see how it is. I suspect it to be not that great.

Become a Patron!
Back