Nintendo Considers Releasing More Mini Consoles Like the NES Classic Edition

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nes-classic-edition-website-banner-cropped-1024x575.jpg
Image: Nintendo

Featuring a faithful (albeit miniaturized) design based on the original consoles and a built-in library of legendary titles, Nintendo’s NES Classic Edition and Super NES Classic Edition mini consoles were incredibly successful experiments that ended up selling out nearly immediately when they launched in 2016 and 2017, respectively. Perhaps unsurprisingly, Nintendo has now confirmed that it is considering producing more mini consoles to capitalize on nostalgic gamers who are seeking to play classic content. Speaking during a recent shareholders meeting, Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa noted that the company would “continue to examine the possibility of offering classic content, such as with the NES and Super NES Classic Mini series,” providing hope that an N64 Mini or GameCube Mini might be on the way. Furukawa also suggested that...

Continue reading...

Only if you have to blow out the cartridge 3 times and shimmy another cart on top of it to jam it in there good.

NES Classic and SNES Classic were okay I guess. Emulation wasn't the best, and the default libraries were @ss. I modded quite a number of them (along with the Genesis Mini) for friends/family who don't regularly use PCs, f*ck with emulation, or still own the original systems. However I kept seeing a strong demand for an N64 Classic among all the people I know. So yeah I think Nintendo could still make money from these types of devices. Also I don't know why they made SNES Classic and NES Classic limited-time things, cuz Sega made the Genesis Mini a regularly-available item (and it has often gone on sale). I wonder about the TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine Mini, haven't gotten a chance to mess with one myself, nor have I really read any reviews on it. PS Classic was some real sh1t though.

Ports and remakes are a better way. However they should be cheap as in a buck or two.

Ports and remakes are a better way. However they should be cheap as in a buck or two.
I love emulation, it can make your favorite games look better than ever. But emulation can only get you so far, a properly done remake would be better.

Still waiting for a Dreamcast mini or an Amiga mini.

Still waiting for a Dreamcast mini or an Amiga mini.
I wonder why not anyone has released an Amiga mini, pretty much anything can emulate it nowadays.
A dreamcast is much harder to emulate, you need a beefy cellphone to run DC games at full speed.
To think that DC is easier to emulate than the Saturn...

Become a Patron!
Back