Nintendo Switch OLED Model Announced, Launching October 8 for $349.99

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nintendo-switch-oled-model-blue-gray-bg-1024x579.jpg
Image: Nintendo

Nintendo has announced the long-rumored update to its hybrid console, the Nintendo Switch. Launching on October 8 at a suggested retail price of $349.99, the new Nintendo Switch OLED model features a larger, 7-inch OLED screen that provides better colors and contrast than the original’s 6.2-inch LCD screen. Nintendo’s updated Switch also features a wide adjustable stand, new dock with a wired LAN port, 64 GB of internal storage, and enhanced audio. Contrary to recent rumors, the Nintendo Switch OLED model does not seem to feature any kind of performance upgrade.

Nintendo Switch (OLED model) launches on Oct. 8, the same day as the Metroid Dread game, the next entry in the 2D Metroid saga that kicked off with the original Metroid on NES. With the vibrant OLED screen and enhanced audio, embarking on the latest adventure of intergalactic...

Continue reading...

I love OLED screens, and I appreciate bigger screens, but not enough to ditch my original-version Switch (which does has a very good IPS panel). Especially since this new model doesn't have a better CPU or RAM, and probably doesn't have a better GPU. The specs are essentially the same. It has twice the onboard storage, but that matters little when you can throw MicroSD cards in the system anyways. Still 720p screen and up to 1080p in docked mode, so no different than the base Switch. Cool that the dock has an Ethernet port now though. The new wider stand is also nifty. Overall though I'd rather have my original Switch that has the hardware Tegra flaw that allows you to soft-mod the system.

Unrelated, I've been trying to get my hands on an OLED PS Vita for quite some time. Whenever I had the funds, other more important sh1t came up. Now I'm broke, but one day I'll nab one. Or I'll put the money towards a new PC. Or a new HDTV.

So what about the Lovelace SoC? or parker or nintendo ditching nvidia for AMD?

Sure leakers will claim the switch pro is still coming, and eventually it may, but I LoL at all those rumors.

Become a Patron!
Back