Nintendo Switch OLED Model Only Sells 138,409 Units at Launch in Japan

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nintendo-switch-oled-model-red-background-1024x576.jpg
Image: Nintendo

The debut of the Nintendo Switch OLED model has been relatively unimpressive in its home territory of Japan. According to Famitsu’s sales tracker, the console only sold 138,409 units in the domestic market over its launch weekend, a number that’s significantly less than the 330,637 units that the original Switch sold during its launch in 2017. The Nintendo Switch OLED model also managed to sell less than the Switch Lite, which sold 177,936 units in 2019. The poor sales is being blamed on component shortages.

From Bloomberg’s report:

The instant popularity of the new Switch is causing a pair of inventory problems for Kyoto-based Nintendo. On the one hand, the company is finding it tough to produce enough Switch OLED units to satisfy demand, with Japanese retailers implementing lottery draws to determine who gets to buy one. That includes...

Continue reading...

I don't know how it is in Japan, but it's just like every other console in the US - totally sold out except via scalpers.

Ah I see. The first few sentences initially gave me the impression that they are blaming the OLED switch itself ( IE nobody wants the new OLED switch). So we dont really know how much demand there is for it given that supply is so limited.

Become a Patron!
Back