NVIDIA Announces GeForce RTX 3080, 3070, and 3060 Ti “Lite Hash Rate” Series with Ethereum Mining Limiter

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-close-up-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

NVIDIA has confirmed that it is trying to get more GeForce RTX 30 Series graphics cards into the hands of gamers by updating its GeForce RTX 3080, GeForce RTX 3070, and GeForce RTX 3060 Ti models with a hash rate limiter that reduces their ability to effectively mine ether (ETH), the native cryptocurrency of the Ethereum blockchain. These newly manufactured SKUs will feature a “Lite Hash Rate” or “LHR” identifier on the box and retail product listings to help customers differentiate them from the older models, whose hash rates won’t be affected. NVIDIA’s revised GeForce RTX 30 Series graphics cards will start shipping in late May.

nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-key-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

Because these GPUs originally launched with a full hash rate, we want to ensure that customers...

Continue reading...

So… any bets on if these are any more available?

My nickel bet: nVidia only diverts <= 10% of their volume to hash limited editions, resulting in no appreciable changes in availability. But you will hear ~a lot~ about them, and it will sound like it’s all nV is making

I'm am wondering, does gimping the onboard device that Ethereum miners use to calculate hash values decrease performance of the card in other areas? If not, why did it exist in the first place, or was it purpose built for mining cryptocurrency?

I look forward to seeing gaming and productivity testing done with these light hash rate cards.

Who wants to be updating the binary will "Get around" the light hash rate limiter? Or maybe doing something like running the mining tool in a VM with mapping to the card will slip past it. We all know it's going to be something relatively simple.

I'm am wondering, does gimping the onboard device that Ethereum miners use to calculate hash values decrease performance of the card in other areas? If not, why did it exist in the first place, or was it purpose built for mining cryptocurrency?
There is no separate device for mining. The only viable route is the card detecting the workload and reducing clocks as a result. The million dollar question is will it take more than a few days to bypass the limiter.

Then it is just pointless for nvidia to even try, unless any attempt is purely symbolic.

Become a Patron!
Back