NVIDIA Earned a Record $5 Billion in Q4 2021 despite GPU Shortages

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-logo-black-1024x577.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

NVIDIA managed to earn record revenue in the previous quarter despite challenges such as GPU and component shortages. Green team shared the achievement today as part of a press release confirming its financial results for fourth quarter and fiscal 2021, which revealed that the company made $5 billion for the fourth quarter ended January 31, 2021. NVIDIA’s gaming segment was responsible for a large chunk of that, having earned $2.5 billion (up 10 percent from the previous quarter and 67 percent from a year earlier) thanks to new GeForce RTX 30 Series graphics cards, GeForce RTX 30 Series laptop GPUs, and increasing adoption of exclusive technologies such as DLSS.

“Q4 was another record quarter, capping a breakout year for NVIDIA’s computing platforms,”...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm

On one hand, good for them. They made a good product and deserve it.
On the other, they played us perfectly - raise prices on an otherwise lackluster Turing, then leverage the hell out of that price increase on Ampere.

But that’s how the capitalism game is played, right? Set ‘em up and knock ‘em down.

I don’t think the scarcity is entirely intentional - I would totally believe a few weeks of modest “supply constraints” just to keep interest piqued and stoke that FOMO, but once you start rolling into months it’s just shooting yourself in the foot.

Just makes me wonder what it could have been and Samsung et al been able to keep up with demand (for gamers and/or miners).

Hmm

On one hand, good for them. They made a good product and deserve it.
On the other, they played us perfectly - raise prices on an otherwise lackluster Turing, then leverage the hell out of that price increase on Ampere.

But that’s how the capitalism game is played, right? Set ‘em up and knock ‘em down.

I don’t think the scarcity is entirely intentional - I would totally believe a few weeks of modest “supply constraints” just to keep interest piqued and stoke that FOMO, but once you start rolling into months it’s just shooting yourself in the foot.

Just makes me wonder what it could have been and Samsung et al been able to keep up with demand (for gamers and/or miners).
While I don't think the scarcity is intentional, I think they don't really want to do something against it.

Become a Patron!
Back