NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Cryptomining Limiter Can Be Bypassed Simply by Using a Particular Driver

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-key-visual-crop-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

The cryptomining limiter that NVIDIA introduced into its latest Ampere graphics card, the GeForce RTX 3060, can be bypassed simply by using a select driver. This is according to ComputerBase and HardwareLuxx, which experimented with green team’s GeForce 470.05 driver and discovered that it doesn’t cripple the GeForce RTX 3060’s ability to mine Ether. The GeForce 470.05 driver is generally distributed by NVIDIA to developers under the Windows Insider program.

“[…] we installed the development driver GeForce 470.05 and lo and behold: we achieve just over 35 MH/s,” HardwareLuxx...

Continue reading...

No ****? For real?

Like nobody saw that coming..... Thanks Nvidia, we get it, you like money. piss on the niche that also wants your product for PC gaming.
We are a minority.....

I thought this was supposed to be enforced with a hardware encryption key and a default action of less throughput.
Allowing the card to be compatible with old drivers with no downside is ridiculous.

Nvidia "Sorry guys, we tried, we thought this would work"

<rolls in money> Your mom should have swallowed Nvidia, this goes for you too AMD. <hugs GTX 670>

The worst part is that even if nvidia no longer makes the driver available, it should be easy for hackers to find a way to patch upcoming drivers.

Hahahahaha........you actually believed that story?
nvidia are owning all your gpuz.
we spit on your gaming.

Yea that was so effortless its almost as if someone provided them documentation on what to do. But that would never happen... right?

I do remember hearing that the throttling would be in bios. Guess that was bs too.

Yea that was so effortless its almost as if someone provided them documentation on what to do. But that would never happen... right?

I do remember hearing that the throttling would be in bios. Guess that was bs too.

According to the Reddit mining horde it is in the BIOS. It requires flashing a specific MSI BIOS and the use of the dev driver to defeat the limiter.

According to the Reddit mining horde it is in the BIOS. It requires flashing a specific MSI BIOS and the use of the dev driver to defeat the limiter.

Ah ok.. so it takes a bit beyond the bare minimum understanding of how to turn a computer on. That's good to know.

I’m waiting to see just how many different ways this limit gets bypassed at this point

Become a Patron!
Back