NVIDIA RTX Voice Doesn’t Actually Require an RTX GPU: Simple Edit Lets It Run on Other Cards

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-rtx-voice-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

NVIDIA’s new RTX Voice plugin is so good at removing background noise that some users are contemplating the purchase of a new graphics card to take advantage of it, but that may not be necessary. A modification that allows RTX Voice to run on older NVIDIA GPUs (i.e., 10, 16, and 900 series) has been discovered.

“David Lake from our forums started messing about a bit with the software and discovered it’ll work without RTX and even on Windows 7 as well,” reported Guru 3D. “With a pretty easy mod applied to the installer, Lake was able to remove the RTX / Windows 7 system restrictions. Multiple users have reported on...

Continue reading...

No surprise here really, but I’m sure this hack will get patched out, nV will try to explain that no, it ~really~ needs RTX (for no particular reason other than to sell RTX), and that will pretty much kill this off from being anything other than a neat parlour trick

No surprise here really, but I’m sure this hack will get patched out, nV will try to explain that no, it ~really~ needs RTX (for no particular reason other than to sell RTX), and that will pretty much kill this off from being anything other than a neat parlour trick

Yeah, that's what I hate about Nvidia. They are not team players in the slightest. They always try to nickel and dime, and lock down everything abuse their customers as much as possible.

First it was locking out dedicated PhysX cards if you used any other brand GPU as your main GPU.

Then it was gameworks/hairworks. Essentially bribing developers with free development tools to make Nvidia specific features to try to cut AMD and nay other potential GPU maker out.

Then all that G-Sync crap. They could have created an open standard and competed with it, but no. They made G-Sync, charged licensing fees and then locked users to using them only with Nvidia GPU's and vice versa, presumably understanding that people may upgrade GPU's a lot, but they rarely buy more than one monitor every 5-10 years, and if you lock them in they'll feel forced to buy Nvidia again...

I hate this ****ty company. I feel forced to buy their products because there simply is no high end competition right now, but as soon as there is a viable alternative I am dumping these *******s as fast as I can. I hate rewarding bad behavior with my money.

Lock-ins, lockouts and exclusives just need to die. The great thing about the PC hobby has always been how you cna mix and match and create your own custom creation that suits YOUR needs the best. This requires open, no license, standards for EVERYTHING, and instead competing on the merits of and capability of the hardware. Software lock ins or lock outs are the devil, and Nvidia should be ashamed. Their shady business practices are every bit as bad as Intel at their worst.

It seems unlikely that AMD will ever get their *** in gear and launch a competitive high end product, but then again, I also through I would be stuck rewarding Intel's ****ty behavior with my hard earned cash forever, and now I'm loving my Threadripper, so anything is possible. If this happens, I'm abandoning Nvidia as fast as I can.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back