Overclocking NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Founders Edition

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
banner-1024x463.png

Introduction

On June 9th, 2021 NVIDIA launched its GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Founders Edition video card.  The GeForce RTX 3070 Ti is an upgraded GeForce RTX 3070 (full GA104 die) for an MSRP of $599.  In our launch review, we concluded that the GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FE underperformed, especially in comparison to the Radeon RX 6800.  Looking at performance gain over the GeForce RTX 3070 FE we experienced between 5-12% averaging around 6-7%. 

One thing we can do to improve performance is to overclock the GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FE.  In this review today we are going to push the video card to its limits, and overclock it as high as possible.  This will show us the potential of the GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FE. 

Our Goal in Testing

We want to know a few...

Continue reading...

The newer RT games with some AMD support do indeed seem better in RT performance but still behind Nvidia even if close, Dirt 5 for example. Other games like Resident Evil Village I believe also shows this.

Love to see some indebt comparisons between FSR and DLSS, FSR looks to have a more supported outcome in the mid to long term. DLSS has continue to improve, I was not impressed with either 1.0 and games using 2.0 had to many artifacts. Newer DLSS versions and games seem to make this feature shine. Just a matter of how well supported in the games I play.

I would pick the 6800 over the 3070 Ti based off of having double the Vram. I don't think the 3070 Ti would be a good medium to long term card 2-5 years. Sweet spot is the 6800XT and the 3080FE in my book.

Very nice rundown/article/review

The article has actually make me reconsider getting a 3070Ti. My watch list covered the RTX3070 and RTX3080. So I'm adding the 3070Ti to the list.

I hadn't even gotten through the first page, and noticed that EVGA Precision X1 was used - still not sure if I like it more or less than MSI's ubiquitous Afterburner software, but what prompted me to give Precision X1 a shot was that they have it listed on Steam as well! Using it now with a Gigabyte card to test out.

Very nice to not have to worry about keeping the software up to date, thanks @Brent_Justice

Hey Brent,

Nice writeup! I think I found a typo though. In section 5
"In the above graph, we are looking at board power. Remember, the GeForce RTX 3070 Ti and GeForce RTX 3080 are using GDDR6X memory, this affects the board power quite a bit. This is why the GeForce RTX 3070 Ti draws so much more power than the GeForce RTX 3070 Ti. "

I think that sentence was supposed to refer to a different card?

Become a Patron!
Back