PCI-SIG Publishes Official PCIe 6.0 Specifications

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
pci-sig-pcie-6.0-inforgraphic-opener-1024x576.jpg
Image: PCI-SIG

PCI-SIG has shared a press release confirming the official specifications of PCIe 6.0, the next version of the ubiquitous expansion bus standard.

According to the press release, PCIe 6.0 will boast a 64 GT/s raw data rate and up to 256 GB/s via x16 configuration. Other key features include Pulse Amplitude Modulation with four levels (PAM4) signaling, Forward Error Correction (FEC), and Flow Control Unit (Flit)-based encoding.

PCIe 6.0 specification features, per PCI-SIG:

64 GT/s raw data rate and up to 256 GB/s via x16 configurationPulse Amplitude Modulation with 4 levels (PAM4) signaling and leverages existing PAM4 already available in the industryLightweight Forward Error Correct (FEC) and Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) mitigate the bit error rate increase associated with PAM4 signalingFlit (flow control unit) based encoding supports...

Continue reading...

I won't lie, I had to look up GT/sec, i wasn't familiar with the metric:

In computer technology, transfers per second and its more common secondary terms gigatransfers per second (abbreviated as GT/s) and megatransfers per second (MT/s) are informal language that refer to the number of operations transferring data that occur in each second in some given data-transfer channel.

Well, it seems progress moves forward. I can only envision the products needed to run at speeds like that

Become a Patron!
Back