PlayStation 5’s First Major Update Will Enable External Storage for PS5 Games and More

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
playstation-5-dualsense-pair-1024x576.jpg
Image: Sony

Sony has provided an overview of its first major update for the PlayStation 5, which will begin rolling out globally tomorrow. The new update’s biggest feature relates to expansion and management; users can now transfer their PS5 games to USB extended storage from their console’s internal storage (previously, only PS4 games could be stored on external HDD/SSDs). The new update also adds various social features for both PS4 and PS5 consoles (e.g., cross-generation Share Play), enhanced control and personalization options for PS5 consoles, and new features for the PlayStation App. Unfortunately, Sony is still working on enabling the PS5’s M.2 slot for owners who’d like to expand their system’s relatively limited internal storage...

Continue reading...

Still no m.2 expansion.... come on Sony. OTOH I don't have one yet because they are still nigh impossible to find in stock.

Yeah, I somehow doubt there will be (a lot) more to buy this year, it's that I got some games for PS5 as birthday/x-mas presents or I would just skip the whole generation, the lack of console inventory is one thing, but the lack of updates on availability leads me to believe there wont be any in the near future.

At least Nvidia and AMD say they keep making chips and cards but the demand is too high for their production capabilities, Sony and MS are not saying anything and no notifications about stock from any of the stores where I am on a notify me list.

Maybe they are just making consoles the rest of the year and keeping them in inventory for a holiday relaunch with some quantities worth mentioning

More likely the few that are sold are as per usual bought up by bots.

Just installed the update and am now on the hunt for a sizable external storage HDD.

Personally, I wanted external HDD support (even if its only for storage and not launching) over the NVME expansion going active. The way I saw it, compatible drives will be expensive for awhile, so I'd rather just transfer games from the SSD to external as required. Still a bit perplexed why this wasn't ready to go at launch like it was for Xbox - but it's here now at least.

Just installed the update and am now on the hunt for a sizable external storage HDD.

I was using an external WD 2TB element usb drive on my ps4 (also modded with a 2tb drive) and it worked fine except being slow as dirt. I saw a deal the other day on SD for the WD 5TB "game drive" for $100, not sure if that deal is still active. I used some GC on Amz and got a Samsung T5 1TB USB SSD drive to replace the 2tb element. It is worlds faster than the element drive, even for USB standards. I suspect it will be fine if I ever get a PS5 which has USB 3 (and C I think) support. I don't need to have every PS4 game in existence downloaded and installed, I suspect we will still be able to download PS4 games from PSN on a PS5 as long as they are installed to the external drive.

The Samsung T5 USB SSD was cheaper than me building my own m.2 + external enclosure + Samsung warranty. It's pretty small, like a thin zippo lighter and can use USB 3 or C. I like it so far.

Become a Patron!
Back