PlayStation 5 Has a Weaker CPU and GPU than Xbox Series X, as Well as Less Internal Storage

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
playstation-blue-swirl-1024x576.jpg
Image: Sony

Mark Cerny’s deep-dive on the PS5 isn’t quite over yet, but Eurogamer has already published what everyone is waiting for: the complete specifications for Sony’s next-generation console. Unfortunately for PlayStation fans, it looks like the PS5 has weaker hardware than Microsoft’s Xbox Series X.

PlayStation 5 Specifications

CPU: 8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.5GHz (variable frequency)GPU: 10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (variable frequency)GPU Architecture: Custom RDNA 2Memory/Interface: 16GB GDDR6/256-bitMemory Bandwidth: 448GB/sInternal Storage Custom: 825GBIO Throughput: 5.5GB/s (Raw), Typical 8-9GB/s (Compressed)Expandable Storage: NVMe SSD SlotExternal Storage: USB HDD SupportOptical Drive: 4K UHD Blu-ray Drive

Xbox Series X...

Continue reading...

I don't think sheer speed matters all that much, if anything the current generation has proven it's more about what you do with it.

Also, a good deal depends on thermals really - I'm afraid we will be saying MS jumped the shark and crammed 10 lbs of GPU in a 5lb box... also worth noting that MS made a big deal about the fact their architecture does ~not~ support variable frequency clocks... which also makes me wonder why, and what that will do to energy consumption.

Disappointing about the storage space though, 500GB was insufficient for last gen and this doesn't appear to be much larger - at least they are talking about non-proprietary expansion though.

Last edited:
Hardware-wise, MS definitely has me feeling the hype. However, all Sony needs to do is show off the next God of War game and I'm sure I'll be jumping over to their bandwagon.

There will definitely be a higher price tag PS5 "Pro" (name TBD) with ramped up specs. Will it be available at launch is anyone's guess.

I personally don't care about the new Xbox, without any exclusives you can play all or most of the games on PC anyway.

I suppose the good news is that these consoles are going x86 platform, so that means PC versions of the games most likely won't be ****ty ports. Games will already be coded to run properly.

I wonder what this means = "Expandable storage = nvme ssd slot". An empty m.2 slot? Something proprietary? Or the 1 slot that the 825gb uses that would have to be replaced with something bigger.

Because one thing is certain: It's 20-effing-20 and 825gb isn't going to cut it. Games are 50-100gb+ nowadays. I have a 2tb internal drive I upgraded to on my base PS4 (full) and an external 2gb usb drive (getting there). Also the external usb drive is so effing slow, I don't want to be tied to that for the next one.

Become a Patron!
Back