PlayStation CEO Jim Ryan Suggests That Sony Has Put VR on the Back Burner

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
playstation-vr-hero-art-gradient-blue-pink-1024x576.jpg
Image: Sony

Despite Sony’s enthusiasm for enabling immersive experiences via newfangled technologies such as the DualSense controller and its haptic feedback functions, PlayStation 5 owners could be waiting a very long time for a successor to Project Morpheus – PlayStation’s first virtual reality headset, which debuted over four years ago.

During a recent interview with The Washington Post, Jim Ryan (President and CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment) gave his thoughts on VR and seemed rather unenthusiastic toward the subject, hinting that it wasn’t really something that Sony was focusing on at this time.

“I think we’re more than a few minutes from the future of VR,” Ryan said. “PlayStation believes in VR...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't say that I blame them.

I'm not totally anti-VR, I would like to give it a shot at some point and very nearly bit on it for the PS4 just for S&Gs. But it hasn't exactly caught the world on fire like a lot of people had hoped.

Yeah, can't blame them either - kudos to them for giving it an honest effort. I thought if there was any chance that VR would catch on, it'd be through the Playstation. Nice to see they're making the original PSVR hardware compatible with the PS5. Hoping we continue to see regular software support for it too.

Sony loves to kill stuff that is loved and has cult following.... RIP PS Vita, PSP etc

Become a Patron!
Back