Possibly upgrading to Ryzen 7 platform - help wanted

DejaWiz

Slightly less n00b
Hello everyone,
After a weekend staycation and some gaming, I've really started noticing my computer's age.

Looking to possibly upgrade, although I may just put it off until the next-gen GPUs and AMD CPUs emerge, probably in about another year from now.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X

MoBo: Asus X570 TUF Gaming

RAM: DDR4-3200 4x8GB single rank (Crucial/Ballistix)

GPU: leaning towards 2070 Super (not interested in DXR/RTRT as it's too early and hardware is too weak)

PSU: Corsair/Seasonic 850W

SSD: probably around 500GB NVMe PCIe 4.0 for OS, reuse my existing 480GB and 1TB for games and general storage.

Chassis: already have a Corsair 450D new in box ready for action.

Display: Have a 27" 1440p 144Hz also new in the box.

I'm not looking to go all-out crazy, hence sticking with 3200MHz RAM and the 3700X vs 3800X or 3900X.

Thoughts, advice, or changes?

If you want to dip into the Zen2 platform to get familiar with it, I'd recommend going with a 3600 (they're real cheap these days!) and splurging out on some

Good memory instead, as it'll last you through your next CPU upgrade :- )
For Samsung B memory, it should be rather trivial to whack in Ryzen DRAM Calculator settings for ~90% of the performance gains you'd get from spending too much time on it. From my experience in 2x8 GB, its settings seem to be very safe for Sammy B even at its "fast" presets.

Unless you're planning an HEDT system in the future, you're unlikely to require more than a 650w PSU

There's also an RX 5700 going for cheap here; https://pcpartpicker.com/product/pk...b-evoke-oc-video-card-radeon-rx-5700-evoke-oc

As (relatively speaking) splurging out on a GPU with some spooky new things on the horizon ~7 months from now seems a little questionable - just as you can cheap out on a 3600 now for the same reason.
And hey, you get to **** around with BIOS-flashing from a 5700 to a 5700 XT and seeing if it works to alleviate the power limit. ; )

cheers

Become a Patron!
Back