[PR] AMD Announces Ryzen 4000 Series Desktop Processors with Radeon Graphics

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
ryzen-amd-chip-background-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

Today, AMD announced the world’s first and most advanced 7nm x86 desktop processors with built-in graphics for consumer and commercial PC markets. The AMD Ryzen 4000 Series Desktop Processors with Radeon Graphics and the AMD Athlon 3000 Series Desktop Processors with Radeon Graphics feature the most advanced processor core technology on the market combined with the best graphics performance available in a desktop processor.

The new AMD Ryzen 4000 G-Series Desktop Processors deliver impressive generational leaps in performance and amazing power efficiency for consumers, gamers, streamers and creators. Built for modern business PCs, AMD Ryzen 4000 Series Desktop Processors with PRO technologies offer enterprise-class solutions, advanced...

Continue reading...

That's cool for laptops and maybe Kiosk systems, but wouldn't they be more interested in low power Laptop chips anyway? I don't understand this move to be honest. What market segment wants desktop APU's that wouldn't be better served by a lower power profile Laptop APU?

I like the idea of them, as long as the price and performance is comparable to their 3000-series counterpart. I don't do much on my PC except gaming and web browsing, so don't need a tank of a CPU. As long as it doesn't cripple my GPU performance, I'm good with whatever CPU.

Some examples of APU usefulness:
It'd be handy for me to not have to find a backup GPU between GPU upgrades, I would just APU it up in between.
The APU could be recycled into a tiny SFF or WifePC build after that part gets upgraded in my machine.

I know it's not much for reasoning, but if the price is close enough to its non-IGP equivalent, I can definitely see the usefulness of a desktop APU.

Well desktop apu is just for desktop used for little to no gaming.
I just built my wife's desktop, wanted 6 cores but ryzen apus then topped out at 4 cores, so I still had to buy a video card.
A laptop doesn't cut it for photo and non video production stuff she makes, like logo and text manipulation, plus sign making software for the vinyl cutter
It had to be a desktop also due to storage (ssd plus multiple hard disks) and optical drive, and big monitor, and tons of ram (32gb) ... These apu would have cut out the 1050super I ended up shoving in there... I don't know if any of the photo software she uses can use the gpu for anything, but low end gpus after the 1050 super seem to suck in the extreme for very little less ( making them worthless in my opinion).
All that crap being said... In a very real sense, its true desktop days as traditional mid towers or some such are really numbered... Computing in general has changed a lot from those devices, thats for sure. While I just said a laptop wouldn't cut it as I built the desktop.. a good powerful one would, (for more money) and it would just be a matter of adding external stuff as needed and so on.
Gaming is always gaming of course and that is a desktop in some form.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back