[PR] NVIDIA Launches Its First Data Center GPU Based on the Ampere Architecture, the A100

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-a100-gpu-1024x575.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

GTC 2020 — NVIDIA today announced that the first GPU based on the NVIDIA® Ampere architecture, the NVIDIA A100, is in full production and shipping to customers worldwide.

The A100 draws on design breakthroughs in the NVIDIA Ampere architecture — offering the company’s largest leap in performance to date within its eight generations of GPUs — to unify AI training and inference and boost performance by up to 20x over its predecessors. A universal workload accelerator, the A100 is also built for data analytics, scientific computing and cloud graphics.

“The powerful trends of cloud computing and AI are driving a tectonic shift in data center designs so that what was once a sea of CPU-only servers is now GPU-accelerated computing,” said Jensen Huang, founder and CEO of NVIDIA. “NVIDIA A100 GPU is a 20x AI...

Continue reading...

Isn't it interesting that they glossed over desktop cards? Moving right into business and simulation and ignoring the market of desktop. This presentation was NOT for us but for shareholders.

At 200k a node of 8 cards, it actually sounds reasonable for what you get.

Part of me would love to get into AI simulation and trying intelligent decision trees. And the company I work for is trying out AI in specific areas. I wonder if I can talk my boss into ordering one of these for our lab so we can play with it... or take home one of those monster video cards.. not that I would do that I wouldn't.. no outputs on them anyway. ;)

Still having that node in my ESXi cluster and being able to play with some crazy amount of AI specific cores.. that could be fun.

Become a Patron!
Back