[PR] QNAP Launches New Quad-Core NAS with 10GbE SFP+ and 2.5GbE Ports

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
qnap-ts431x3-nas-1024x576.jpg
Image: QNAP

QNAP Systems, Inc., a leading computing, networking and storage solution innovator, today launched the quad-core 1.7 GHz TS-431X3 NAS. Featuring 10GbE SFP+ and 2.5GbE RJ45 connectivity, the TS-431X3 enables businesses to deploy a high-speed network environment to meet data backup, recovery, and virtualized storage needs.

The TS-431X3 is powered by a quad-core 1.7 GHz processor, 4GB RAM (upgradable to 8 GB), and features a 10GbE SFP+ port to provide high bandwidth for intensive data transmission. Coupled with a QNAP QSW series switch, users can build a 10GbE network environment to enjoy higher transfer speeds and deploy containerized applications. The TS-431X3 also features a 2.5GbE port for low-latency file sharing and team collaboration. The TS-431X3 comes...

Continue reading...

So I have to wonder at this. How many small businesses have 10gb networking? I mean really. I manage several vspjere clusters with fiber attached storage. But 10gb networking.. We don't bother. Plus if you're a small business with thst sort of network hardware I doubt your going to want to buy new switches for a storage network with direct access for your vsphere hosts. The cost involved seems too high to start especially for a low end Nas solution to be done right.

Can someone enlighten me to a business that has the network spend capital to do this thst wouldn't want a real enterprise class storage solution instead of half assing it with something like this?

I agree. I don't see a market for this. If I need 10 GBe network storage it's going to be rack mounted with the rest of the 10 GBe equipment.

Yup I agree, who is this really for. While I hope that 10g comes down in price eventually for home use... today it's not there. And unless you're copying terrabytes of data across network, it's not necessary.

Well 10Gb costs aside, rather you need the infrastructure or not is somewhat secondary to if you get a NAS that happens to support it or not.

Not sure what the MSRP of the X3 edition is, but the previous version (includes 10Gb SFP + x2 1Gb) can be found in the $300’s diskless

Ohhhh I see what they did. They have a 10gb capable sfp slot. Putting the cost on the buyer to buy the sfp to plug I to it. Which can exceed the cost of the NAS buy itself. Very nice...

Become a Patron!
Back