[PR] Sony Invests $250 Million for a Minority Stake in Epic Games

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
epic-games-logo-1024x576.jpg
Image: Epic Games

Sony Corporation (“Sony”) and Epic Games, Inc. (“Epic”) are pleased to announce that Sony has agreed to make a strategic investment of $250 million to acquire a minority interest in Epic through a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony. The investment cements an already close relationship between the two companies and reinforces the shared mission to advance the state of the art in technology, entertainment, and socially-connected online services.

The investment allows Sony and Epic to aim to broaden their collaboration across Sony’s leading portfolio of entertainment assets and technology, and Epic’s social entertainment platform and digital ecosystem to create unique experiences for consumers and creators. The closing of the investment is subject to customary closing conditions, including regulatory approvals.

“Epic’s powerful technology in areas such as graphics...

Continue reading...

250 mil is a "minority stake"? Crikey.

If only someone at Sony had a Delorean, they could go back to pre-Fortnight time when Epic was hurting and probably bought the whole company outright.

This is kinda huge... MS keeps dropping the ball in regards to acquisitions and establishing quality first party developers and IPs.

I'm hoping this gives Sony the motivation they need to start releasing exclusives on the PC. I'd love to be able to play everything on a single, mostly superior, platform.

$250M is probably a cheap buy-in for a stake in Epic.

This gives me hope of more titles for pc gaming.

Become a Patron!
Back