[PR] Synology Debuts Solid-State Drive Line

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
synology-sat5200-series-1024x576.jpg
Image: Synology

Synology Inc. launched a series of solid-state drives built to meet today’s increasingly demanding environments, such as virtualization workloads, high traffic volume database storage, and AI and HPC projects. Synology’s SSD lineup covers 2.5″ SATA, M.2 2280, and M.2 22110 form factors and is designed to provide consistent performance while maintaining low I/O latency.

“Data storage is a fundamental part of any business today, whether for on-premises or hybrid cloud infrastructure. Requirements for performance and low latency in modern deployments have shifted trends towards hybrid or all solid-state storage arrays,” said...

Continue reading...

I don’t know why any company would want to jump into a mature, highly commoditized, low margin marketplace

I don’t know why any company would want to jump into a mature, highly commoditized, low margin marketplace

Looks to me like they are trying to make it a little niche, by having it integrate better into their drive enclosures and monitor health in their software.

I bet for that feature they are going to charge a nice little premium, making it less low margin.

The question is, will people bite?

Looks to me like they are trying to make it a little niche, by having it integrate better into their drive enclosures and monitor health in their software.

I bet for that feature they are going to charge a nice little premium, making it less low margin.

The question is, will people bite?

At the enterprise level, yes, they'll bite. We like one stop shops for hardware. Filling up a NAS with whatever drives sourced from third party vendors is more work.

Become a Patron!
Back