[PR] Synology Launches DS220+, DS420+, DS720+, and DS920+ NAS Units

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
synology-ds920-nas-1024x576.jpg
Image: Synology

Synology Inc. today launched a new generation of two and four bay Plus Series NAS, designed as a centralized data management solution for both home and business environments.

“Plus series is one of our most popular and versatile product lines,” said Hewitt Lee, Director of Synology Product Management Group.”The series offers an ideal mix of processing power and advanced capabilities such as containers and virtualization support, in compact and quiet desktop form factors. It is also the starting point for our advanced data protection solutions, enabling small businesses to cost-effectively deploy solutions that can protect their entire IT infrastructure.”

Turbocharged experience

Up to 133% faster in website responsiveness and over 15% improvement in compute-tasks, the new Plus series enables you to get things done faster and more efficiently1. Two M.2 NVMe...

Continue reading...

I always wonder why people buy these things.

For the money you can buy much more capable and higher performing surplus server hardware and build your own FreeNAS or other storage system, and have much more flexibility and higher performance...

The fact that Synology won't honor warranty or service if third party RAM is used should be a big red warning flag right off the top.

And with something like ZFS you have the added benefit of if anything ever goes wrong, troubleshooting it and recovering data from any computer running *nix, and not needing to find a unit compatible with proprietary RAID protocols.

Last edited:
Most people don't need a full server, or want to deal with the noise that a server produces, just to store files, run plex server, record their security cams, back up their mobile devices, etc. Then comes the ease of use that a Synology provides, where with a server is considerably more complex. Your average person doesn't know how to make something work with Windows Server or Linux. They want to plug it in, have a simple GUI they can access via their phone or laptop, set it up in 10 minutes and go on with their life.

I really like my Synology.

4 bays, it’s not huge, nice software, low noise, low hassle.

Really isn’t much to hate on.

Yea the power profile alone of putting in retired server hardware makes the TCO comparison not even worth while for a VERY small business or home network setup. And really with connectivity in Urban environments being what it is an office 365 sub just for data backup and image backups is more than adequate. (Especially with a prime account in the mix.)

Value go's out the window of course if your teaching yourself and trying to embrace and use newer technology, not just looking for a good solution for you.

I've been considering getting one of these for a while.

I already have a 10c/20t Xeon server setup with around 25TB of data, but its a power hog (works great for Plex) and configuration isn't always simple.

Running a NAS setup like this, to complement that server, is what I've been considering. I've already maxed out all the SATA ports on that server and adding a new larger drive to replace existing drives isn't always easy.

Become a Patron!
Back