PS5 Controller’s Battery Life May Not Be Much Better Than the DualShock 4

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
astros-playroom-playstation-5-controller-1024x576.jpg
Image: Sony

The DualShock 4 is a very good controller, particularly for fighting games, but one of the biggest complaints that PlayStation fans have had with it is its relatively pathetic battery life. According to some users, the controller gives up after four to eight hours, which is pretty sad when you consider the fact that the Xbox One controller can reportedly last for up to 30 hours.

You’d think that Sony might have addressed this with its new PS5 controller – the DualSense – but according to one lucky redditor who got his hands on one (RIP, whoever signed the NDA), its battery life only averages three to four hours more than the DualShock 4. Needless to say, that’s pretty disappointing – evidently, gamers will have to keep their chargers close...

Continue reading...

I don't see the battery life being that big of an issue though. I mean, 4 - 8 hours is a pretty long gaming session. Add 3 - 4 hours to that and you got a decently long gaming session on one charge.

You just gotta remember to keep it on the charger when you're done gaming so it wont die on you during your second session.

Yeah battery life was never really an issue for me either. I did question why they would not allow the controllers to charge while being used, that was my only real complaint.

Yeah battery life was never really an issue for me either. I did question why they would not allow the controllers to charge while being used, that was my only real complaint.

I could see that being a problem though. Seems kind of backwards in this day to not allow a device to be used while charging.

Battery life an issue? Buy another.. they are well priced for what you get i think.

I've only had issue with battery life on PS4 controllers because I so very rarely use it. At this point it just sits in my entertainment center plugged in, on the off chance someone will actually want to play a game on it.

What? My DualShock 4 controllers have all continuously charged while I played with them plugged in.

I thought the battery life of XB1 controllers was ****, but DualShock 4 takes the cake (though probably better than DualShock 3). X360 controllers, in my experience, last longer than both. Nintendo controllers this generation haven't lived up to past greats either, but still generally the best out of the current systems (not counting the joy-cons). Although nothing is ever gonna match the 100 hours of the WaveBird. WaveBird didn't have rumble though, or any motion **** in it. Even if DualSense improves on the battery life of the DualShock 4, it's not by much. Still gonna be crappy. I was hoping DualSense would massively improve battery times over DualShock 4, but nope.

Ok I can understand that more is better than less, but how much battery life is “enough”?

BOOOOOO

My DS3 had like 10x the life of the DS4. I could get days, maybe WEEKS without charging. Stupid DS4, play for a couple hours one night, go to bed... next day... battery is dead and I have to play with the stinking cable connected to charge.

Personally I haven't had any big issues with the DS4's battery life. It was definitely shorter life than a XBox1 controller, but I just got in the habit of plugging it in between uses. And I don't really marathon game anymore, so a few hours of playtime is plenty for me.

As for the X360 vs Xbox1 controller debate, I'd say that I loved the X360 controller, but the latest revision of the Xbox1 gamepad (the newer model with the textured back) has won me over. The X360 feels 'squishy' to me now and I really like the sharper angles of the Xbox1 controller.

However, the Switch Pro controller is definitely my favorite controller of this generation. It feels terrific. I really should look to see if there's an easy way to make it worth with my Xbox.

...the latest revision of the Xbox1 gamepad (the newer model with the textured back) has won me over.
Yeah, the one that debuted with the Xbox One S, that's a good controller, much better than the original XB1 controller. Everything is improved, especially the shoulder buttons, and I do really like that textured back.
However, the Switch Pro controller is definitely my favorite controller of this generation.
Agree with you there too. I use it on PC a lot more than I use it on Switch. Although Wii U Pro Controller has a better DPad. I just wish the Switch Pro Controller wasn't so **** expensive, and that it weighed less, and had an easily removable battery. Oh well.

Become a Patron!
Back