Radeon RX 5500 XT 8GB vs. 4GB Gaming Review

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
banner-1.jpg

Introduction

When the AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT launched last December, one of the advantages that AMD specified is its ability to have both 4GB and 8GB variants. You see, the competition’s GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER only has 4GB models available, there are no variants with anymore VRAM. AMD made it clear in its launch that 8GB of VRAM could have advantages in gameplay performance, and thus would be one reason to buy the Radeon RX 5500 XT over a GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
If I buy you guys a x570 chipset motherboard for your AMD CPU's will you use it for testing? This was a great opportunity to show on a memory constrained card the difference in performance with PCIe 4.x.

If I buy you guys a x570 chipset motherboard for your AMD CPU's will you use it for testing? This was a great opportunity to show on a memory constrained card the difference in performance with PCIe 4.x.

We have been backed up on video card reviews at the moment, but that very test is planned.

This test we did today is very relevant because not everyone has an X570 chipset. The X470 and below, or Intel, are still very popular, therefore PCIe 3.0 is still very relevant for many gamers right now, today. There are probably more people not on X570 at the moment, then there are people that are on X570 in this world.

That said, your idea is not far fetched, and we have been planning to do a system test such as that and upgrade our test bench. I am but one person, and we have many things we had to get to first before I can do the switch. I would continue to argue that X470 and below, and Intel, are more relevant to readers and gamers than X570, that is just one chipset, and not everyone is running it yet, so it's important to see what the mainstream of gamers actually get in performance.

Then when we do the comparison with PCIe 4.0 versus 3.0 we'll have more data to reference, we can look back at this testing and see how that compares. This testing today gives us a good baseline to compare with. The testing we did today will be relevant for a lot of people not on X570 yet, and that's a LOT of people.

BTW, I have both a PCIe 4.0 versus PCIe 3.0 test planned and a gaming performance test between CPUs and platforms, please be patient with us as we get to it all. But if you want to see those things, definitely continue to check us out every week for new reviews.

Yea I know. But if we want Intel and others to embrace PCIE 4.x we need to apply pressure and 'lead from the bottom' the way we do that is show the benefits of the PICe platform... or quite possibly the complete LACK of benefit.

I'm down for either I bought into 4.x and I know it's not the full market. I just think it would be nice to SEE if that is truly a boon or not. For cards that support it... which there will be more of if there is a boon to using it. If not I wasted money on it... but it's less than I wasted on Star Citizen. ;)

Become a Patron!
Back