Replacing polarized film on LCD TV

Stoly

FPS Regular
Is it possible to replace the polarized film on a LCD TV?
Its an old LG 32" LCD TV that apparently was hit from direct sunlight while stored. The film cracked and peeled but otherwise its fine so I figured maybe I can replace it.

Can it be done?
Where can I get it?

I don't endorse ebay in any way, but at least a starting point.

Given how commodity TV's have become, and because of the age and likely Pain in the *** factor that will be associated with this (getting the old one completely cleaned off, getting the new one lined up right, with no air bubbles or debris) - I'd just go get another TV. Another 32" can be found for under $100.

So, can it be done? I'm sure it can. I'm also sure it's totally not worth doing.

Now my question would be if a need a 0° or 90° polarized film. Somehow I'm assuming it would be 90° but I don't know for sure.

I don't endorse ebay in any way, but at least a starting point.

Given how commodity TV's have become, and because of the age and likely Pain in the *** factor that will be associated with this (getting the old one completely cleaned off, getting the new one lined up right, with no air bubbles or debris) - I'd just go get another TV. Another 32" can be found for under $100.

So, can it be done? I'm sure it can. I'm also sure it's totally not worth doing.
I mostly agree, but if this was cheap enough then it would fall under the "because I can" argument. I mean its not even 1080p, to begin with.

Now my question would be if a need a 0° or 90° polarized film. Somehow I'm assuming it would be 90° but I don't know for sure.
At $8, buy both. The one you don't use keep for stupid party tricks.

There's also this note a bit farther down the Ebay posting:

Note:
If you don't know which angle the polarizing film should be used for your LCD LED IPS Screen TV, please purchase Polarizer Film Angle Testing Tools at first.It will help you to save more time and purchase correct Polarizer film;
Polarizer Film Angle Testing Tools item ID: 323094107536, you can find it in my store, Any question please feel free to contact us,thanks

At $8, buy both. The one you don't use keep for stupid party tricks.

There's also this note a bit farther down the Ebay posting:

Note:
If you don't know which angle the polarizing film should be used for your LCD LED IPS Screen TV, please purchase Polarizer Film Angle Testing Tools at first.It will help you to save more time and purchase correct Polarizer film;
Polarizer Film Angle Testing Tools item ID: 323094107536, you can find it in my store, Any question please feel free to contact us,thanks

So I grabbed a small piece of film that fell from the screen. I put it horizontally on the part that was missing and it showed the image beneath, I then rotated it 90° and it won't show anything so I'm pretty sure its a 90° polarized film.

So I grabbed a small piece of film that fell from the screen. I put it horizontally on the part that was missing and it showed the image beneath, I then rotated it 90° and it won't show anything so I'm pretty sure its a 90° polarized film.
Well.. erm. I don't know if that's true. Any angle film you have - if you rotate it 90' will do exactly what you describe, because that's how polarization just works. It doesn't mean you have 90' film.

yeah, but where's the fun in that? ;) ;)
I have tried to fix broken flatscreens before TCON boards, ribbon cables etc. I am zero for 2 and the money I wasted could have gone towards a new one anyway. But if it's just 8 bucks and you're bored/adventurous/cheap then go nuts!

I think most polarized sunglasses are 90*. So you could probably buy a cheap pair of them. If you can see the image without tilting your head. 90* If you have to tilt your head a little, then it's probably 45* sunglasses. If you have to rotate the glasses a full 90* to see the image, then it's probably 0*.

Become a Patron!
Back