Report: Apple TV+ Had Less than 20 Million Subscribers in the US and Canada in July

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
apple-tv-plus-logo-cloud-bg-1024x576.jpg
Image: Apple

Apple’s streaming service doesn’t seem to be doing too hot based on subscription numbers shared by the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees. According to the union, Apple had less than 20 million subscribers in the US and Canada as of July, which seems like a disappointing number compared to the likes of Netflix and Disney+. Those services claimed 209 and 116 million subscribers as of Q2, respectively.

The numbers for Apple TV+ may not be entirely accurate, however, as Apple is alleged to be claiming fewer subscribers so it can pay behind-the-scenes production crew lower rates. As reported by CNBC:

Apple claimed its TV+ service had less than 20 million subscribers in the U.S. and Canada as of July, allowing it to pay behind-the-scenes production crew lower rates than streamers with more subscriptions, according to the International...

Continue reading...

I don't know that Apple needs as many subscribers as say, Netflix, who's entire revenue depends on streaming.

Apple has the Ecosystem, and TV+ is just one small part of that ecosystem. How much of an influence TV+ has on things like AppleTV sales and Apple One services bundles I don't know, but it's not an Apples to Apples comparison to try to compare them to Netflix.

Disney and Amazon, on the other hand - yeah, there it's a similar boat. They are using Streaming as part of an overall strategy along with other divisions, products and services. How much is Disney+ worth to Disney not only as a streaming service, but as an advertising method for upcoming films? And for Amazon, how much of an bump in sales is Prime Video as a part of the Prime services as well?

If and this is a big if. IF apple only has 20 million subscribers... When for every apple device you buy you get a free year of apple TV... suggests that Apple TV isn't that appealing at all.

If and this is a big if. IF apple only has 20 million subscribers... When for every apple device you buy you get a free year of apple TV... suggests that Apple TV isn't that appealing at all.
It hasn't had anything worth a **** until recently. I admit I'm very interested in Foundation and Finch. I'd probably check out Ted Lasso if I had it just to see what that's about, but not expecting much and certainly wouldn't sub just for that.

The biggest problem with the Apple "free" trials. Yeah, you get 6 months or whatever with a new device, so long as you keep it on auto-renew. If you cancel auto-renew, it cancels the free trial right then and there as well. So that is ****ty. All of mine lasted a day, when I canceled the auto-renew, and then it kicked me off the trial, so I guess I'm not a subscriber even though I had a chance at a free trial?

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back