Report: PlayStation 5 Redesign with New 6-Nanometer AMD CPU to Enter Production in 2022

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
playstation-5-dualsense-pair-1024x576.jpg
Image: Sony

It was previously rumored that Sony might be planning a PlayStation 5 Slim or other sort of redesign of its wildly popular next-gen console for 2023. According to a new report from Taiwanese IT outlet DigiTimes, production on a PS5 hardware redesign will actually happen earlier, sometime during the second and third quarter of 2022. The new PS5 is said to feature a new, semi-customized 6-nanometer CPU from AMD as a cost-cutting measure.

Taiwanese news outlet with spotty track record Digitimes: Sony aims for a PS5 redesign for 2Q or 3Q 2022: https://t.co/ASb1oWa3gM (paywall: and yes, I am subscribed)It says the next PS5 will come with a "new semi-customized" 6nm CPU from AMD. 5nm is said to be too costly.— Dr. Serkan Toto / Kantan Games Inc. (@serkantoto)...

Continue reading...

This is one of those areas that AMD has been brilliant. They are literally the only vendor in the space. So, you want a refresh.....sure........we will do it but you are paying!

THIS is why I'll never buy another console. You buy one, and a year or so later they come out with a "new and improved super-ultra-slim-pro" model

THIS is why I'll never buy another console. You buy one, and a year or so later they come out with a "new and improved super-ultra-slim-pro" model

Buy one where? I'm still saying the new consoles are a "paper" launch (as in you can't go to the store and buy one). I doubt it will be a pro version, more like a cost saving one like they did with al their previous consoles, I even doubt there will be a pro model this generation.

Not any different at all with computers… there is always an upgrade around the corner. At least with consoles they define a spec for compatibility and minimum performance in a generation

Not any different at all with computers… there is always an upgrade around the corner

Yar, and to be fair - we could probably buy every revision of a console as they're released and it'll still be cheaper than the rate we upgrade our PCs at.

So we should discard the 5nm rumor and believe this one instead? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Not the point. Consoles are supposed to last many years. Lately that's been shortened to maybe 2. What's next? A yearly console?

Not the point. Consoles are supposed to last many years. Lately that's been shortened to maybe 2. What's next? A yearly console?

It's still a ps5 all ps5 titles will still work on it. You'd have a point if it was suddenly a ps6 or even ps5 pro with new features other than smaller.

Cost cutting is very important in consoles, since they are mostly sold at a loss. So every penny Sony saves is pure gold.

Become a Patron!
Back