Report: Sony Acquiring World’s Largest Anime-Streaming Service, Crunchyroll, for $1 Billion

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
dragon-ball-super-team-1024x576.jpg
Image: Funimation

How do you compete against the likes of streaming giants such as Netflix, Hulu, and Disney+? By doubling down on Japanese animation, of course.

According to a report from Nikkei Asia, Sony is in final negotiations to purchase Crunchyroll, the world’s leading anime-streaming service, for more than 100 billion yen ($957 million).

The deal echoes Sony’s acquisition of another anime streamer, Funimation, back in 2017. That purchase netted Sony 1 million paying subscribers, but Crunchyroll is set to boost that customer base significantly.

“Crunchyroll has 70 million free members and 3 million paying subscribers in more than 200 countries and regions, including the U.S. and Europe,” Nikkei noted...

Continue reading...

I thought Sony was swirling down the drain? How do they have a billion bucks to blow on buying Crunchyroll?

Idk, but each time I see the name Crunchyroll, I want sushi BADLY.

Not Apple's great but solid.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fool.com/amp/earnings/call-transcripts/2020/10/28/sony-sne-q2-2020-earnings-call-transcript/

Become a Patron!
Back