Reviewer Claims He Was Bribed by MSI to Take Down a Negative Laptop Review

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
msi-bravo-15-laptop-1024x576.jpg
Image: MSI

TechteamGB has published some serious allegations against MSI on his Twitter account. According to the hardware reviewer, who runs a YouTube channel, the company offered him money to take down a less-than-stellar review of its new Bravo 15 laptop, which features AMD Ryzen 7 4000 H-Series processors and Radeon RX 50 Series graphics cards.

“On Monday I posted a review of an MSI laptop, which had a number of flaws,” TechteamGB began. “The display was poor, thermals were terrible and the track pad felt like it was broken.” He then goes on to explain how the hardware manufacturer tried to bribe him despite a weeks-long effort at ascertaining why the laptop was bad and trying to work things out with the company.

I don't normally name and shame companies and their less-than-idea behaviours...

Continue reading...

Never heard of TeamTechGB but anyone can have a YT channel.

If the laptop was "free" for review purpose, then I might be inclined to work with them some on verbiage or replacements etc etc.

But if I bought it and it was a POS, yeah then screw 'em and let the flames fly

Of note, in our experiences working with MSI, we have never been asked to take down a review, not to publish a review, or any other request to alter the content of our reviews.

If the laptop was "free" for review purpose, then I might be inclined to work with them some on verbiage or replacements etc etc.

But if I bought it and it was a POS, yeah then screw 'em and let the flames fly

It really doesn't matter what the source of the equipment is for a review - if you get a dud piece of hardware, it is the reviewer's job to determine whether you simply got a dud item or whether there's a design/production issue that is going to be found across all units available to consumers. It's also the reviewer's job to publish their findings when the investigation is complete (or the manufacturer refuses to respond after a reasonable period of time).

From my understanding, different manufacturers react differently to bad reviews. Some will take it as constructive criticism, improve the product and try again and in other cases, they will retaliate through use of the golden rule (whoever has the money makes the rules) or stop sampling the reviewer. I'm glad we haven't run into this yet here, but I'm sure at some point we might....

I've been in this business a long time. Personally, I have been asked to take down negative reviews, but I have never been offered compensation of any kind to do so. I've had plenty of conversations concerning negative reviews with PR people from all of the various motherboard manufacturers. Plenty of them have expressed displeasure and attempted to rectify the situation by sending me replacement parts, assisting in the testing, attempting to duplicate my issues on their end and so on. All reasonable things. But never have I been offered money, or even free hardware to change my stance on a product.

Having said that, these people have known me and met me in person several times. While conjecture on my part, I believe that any PR people that have met me, **** well know I am not the type to be manipulated. Not only that, but they knew Kyle well enough to know that ultimately, control rested in his hands and not mine. Anytime I was asked to pull an article, I told them no and that they'd have to talk to Kyle, and frankly, told them that was a bad idea. It was in each case I am aware of. Precisely what I told them would happen, happened.

When you are a reviewer that's part of an organization, paying people off becomes a much bigger problem. You'd have to pay off everyone who had knowledge of the situation and that gets expensive and the risk of someone coming forward increases greatly. Most of us do this part time and don't do it for the money. Therefore, the kind of payoff that would test your integrity is beyond the scope of what some PR firm or PR department is likely to pay.

Single person operations like the Youtuber who's making the allegations here are a different matter. That's just one person. The younger, poorer, one person channels are much better targets for a pay off. Not only could it potentially get done cheap, but the total people involved in something like that is small enough, to make it possible. If you aren't a big name Youtuber or reviewer, the risk of the bribery attempt getting out may seem smaller. It takes someone with a lot of integrity to speak up in these cases. You offer someone who's doing well in their career and makes a decent living a grand or two, it means little. Offer a couple grand to someone who's struggling to make rent and get their channel off the ground and you've got pretty good odds of achieving the desired result.

That's just my opinion. As I said, no one has ever offered to bribe me into doing anything, so I can't say how frequently this happens. I've listened to a PR person crying on the phone, who called me from overseas and begged me to take an article down for fear of losing their job. Even then, I was never offered cash or free hardware do to it. However, this isn't the first time I've heard of this sort of thing happening. Though, it's certainly the first time I've heard of MSI doing it.

Publishing a bad review, isn't something anyone does lightly. There are a lot of reasons for that, which are practically enough material for a thread by themselves. If you publish a bad review, you have to make **** sure that you have hard data to show your readers, viewers and the manufacturer / PR department why you came to the conclusion you did.

I don't know the specifics here, as I didn't watch the review, nor do I know what the issues were. However, hardware failures aren't necessarily grounds for a bad review as David pointed out. Defective or DOA products can come from any manufacturer. It's important to recognize that and determine whether or not the fault is bad luck or something more serious, indicating design issues. I've seen both things over the years.

@Dan_D then you have the flip-side. For this youtuber, they figured out they would gain a LOT more notoriety and hits on their channels and hopefully subscribers by coming forward with a story of corporate malfeasance in the review space.

So in essence being offered a bribe to take down a negative review is actually the best thing they could have done to boost their channel. They don't have the audience yet but everyone in the space is discussing it. And this guy is making a name.

The Rub is if this company has enough connections and friends to get the guy blacklisted for ****ting on their business. Only time will tell.

Become a Patron!
Back