Rumor: Sony Acquiring Demon’s Souls Developer Bluepoint Games “Very Soon”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
demons-souls-key-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: Bluepoint Games

Bluepoint Games has risen in prominence over the years thanks to the success of PlayStation remasters such as Shadow of the Colossus, Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection, and Demon’s Souls, which released last week for the PS5 to critical acclaim.

According to ResetEra’s MarsipanRumpan, Bluepoint has garnered so much good will that Sony has decided to acquire the developer and integrate it into SIE Worldwide (PlayStation) Studios. Here is how the rumored deal would pan out for both parties, per MarsipanRumpan:

From Bluepoint’s angle:

They want to make sure they get a shot at an original IP, they don’t want to be simply a “remake studio” (Even if they make more remakes)While they value and...

Continue reading...

I'm not a fan of some of the creative liberties they have taken in Shadow of the Colossus and Demon's Souls, but they definitely do good work. I'd be very interested to see what kind of original IP they can come up with.

I'm surprised they didn't have them release an original IP first - though I guess worst case scenario: their original IPs are lackluster, they could make them a dedicated 'remaster studio' (Hello Jumping Flash!).

I'm surprised they didn't have them release an original IP first - though I guess worst case scenario: their original IPs are lackluster, they could make them a dedicated 'remaster studio' (Hello Jumping Flash!).
Their first game was an arcade launch title for the PS3 called Blast Factor, and it definitely looks like something we would have developed in university. All the remasters they have done since then should have honed their experience to the point of being able to do something compelling today.

Become a Patron!
Back