Russia Bans Sales of Smartphones, Computers, and Smart TVs without Russian Software

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
As a means of promoting domestic technology, Russia has passed a law banning the sales of any smartphone, computer, and smart television without Russian-made software that is pre-installed and determined by the government. Manufacturers and distributors in Russia are calling this a bad decision because it may convince international companies to abandon the Russian market. Also, it may not be possible to install Russian-made software on some devices.

One of the bill's co-authors, Oleg Nikolayev, has explained how it could help Russian users.

"When we buy complex electronic devices, they already have individual applications, mostly Western ones, pre-installed on them," he said, according to Interfax news agency.

"Naturally, when a person sees them… they might think that there are no domestic alternatives available. And if, alongside pre-installed applications, we will also offer the Russian ones to users, then they will have a right to choose."

Uvilla

FPS Regular
Interesting... Well the Inernet is kind of splintering, and so will all connected devices I suppose.
The Chinese are not going to abandon the Russian market any minute now.. our "worries" for them are misplaced.

JosiahBradley

Sort-of-Regular
When I look at the calendar I see the date of almost 2020 and then look at the world and realize we never made it out of the dark ages.

wra18th

n00b
Russian software = better surveillance

It's not for the benefit of the people. It's for the benefit of government control.

Become a Patron!