Ryzen Master, 3900x, I don't know where to start on this . . .

noko

Sort-of-Regular
Right up front -> Ryzen Master overrides bios memory settings that even changing bios settings and saving them, even clearing the cmos, what you set in Ryzen Master turns up what is being set at after the initial setting of the bios. o_O After stabilizing system and getting into windows and changing Ryzen Master settings I confirmed that bios changes of parameters set by Ryzen Master cannot be altered with the bios.

Sounds crazy, well it is but that is what I ran up against. Had memory set at 3600 16,16,16,16,36 using Ryzen Master, passing memtest Pro and was over 300% which I like to go to at least 400% with zero errors. Took wife out to dinner but it was obvious we had a power surge/outage when we came back. Computer would not reboot, famous C5 error with ASUS (memory), reset cmos and got into the bios and set with profile, would not reboot. Did safe boot option on C6H. A number of repeats, C5 C5 C5 C5 . . . getting into bios and was able to get back into the bios after profile for 3200mhz memory and load and behold - the memory was at 3600! What was set with Ryzen Master, it totally ignored what I put into the bios. Of course it will not train the memory during a cold boot and the reason for the repeated C5's and Od (not sure what that is).

The only way I was able to get into Windows when this happen was reset the cmos (this is with ASUS bios and C6H)
  1. used safe boot switch and reset switch if needed
  2. the ASUS bios will prompt to go to settings, hit f1, once in the bios do not save anything just escape out of it and boot into windows
    1. This will be at reduced ram speeds but stable
  3. open up Ryzen Master and change the ram speed and timings and hit apply which will reboot the machine and your new settings will be in the bios not under the settings box but the actual state reading. The inputted setting will be there but the actual will be from Ryzen Master.
    1. I do believe if set to Auto in Ryzen Master you will gain control back with inputted bios settings, have not tested that yet
Still not sure what to think, will have to do some double checking to see if I am looking at this wrong.

I was able to get out of the lock that Ryzen Master had over the bios. Initially took pictures capturing behavior but weird stuff happened while I could not change memory timings in the bios, the memory clock speed changed during the capturing so could not show continuity between the images besides the clock time of the captured bios images.

Anyways if you come across where you cannot change bios settings after using Ryzen Master for memory clock or settings, (this maybe an ASUS/C6H bios issue or buggy Ryzen Master Software). Do the following, frankly I am not sure what actually cleared the lock and I am sure I could reproduce this if others start to see this if needed.
  1. Anyways in Ryzen Master go to one of the Profiles as in 1 or 2 if never used and select apply on the bottom of the profile, I tried in the Creator Mode to reset, put everything in Auto, then Exclude etc. but bios settings would not change from what was previously selected in Creator Mode in Ryzen Master. I could change the setting in Ryzen Master and it would change the actual memory settings, just those settings in the bios were basically locked
    1. Key point: This is before the OS even loaded, one bios session to the next, memory settings were locked at the bios level
  2. In Bios set optimize defaults and reboot
  3. Just manually put in the memory timings, speeds voltages etc. I did not use D.O.C.P. Save and reboot and you should be free from the tangle
I can now control memory speed and settings in the bios - not sure what to make of this. The issue was when I set memory speed too high, while good for a warm boot - it was not good for a cold boot with memory training. Then those timings appeared to have been locked in somehow even after flashing the bios, booting into the bios - the first save from the bios the 3600mhz setting was then applied, this is my best guess. Giving C5 after C5 as soon as I save any configuration into the bios. The next step would have been pulling the bios battery out and let everything discharge.

The bios configures the CPU memory controller but can Ryzen Master configure the memory controller, save that profile to the CPU and lock out the bios? Hopefully no one else has to go through this crap.

I am now back to a very stable PB, 3466mhz ram setting. I will probably tinker with memory more at the bios level for a goal of 3600mhz but not using Ryzen Master (it is probably OK to use just to monitor and on other motherboards)

I have never gotten stuck in this loop.

Well that is good news, hopefully a very isolated case. Tempted to do a video of this. If anyone else gets this behavior will do.

I haven't tried those CPU's on ASUS motherboards, so I haven't seen that. It hasn't done it on the MSI MEG X570 GODLIKE, and I've done a ton of work in Ryzen Master with PB2, Manual and PBO, PBO+AutoOC testing.

I haven't tried those CPU's on ASUS motherboards, so I haven't seen that. It hasn't done it on the MSI MEG X570 GODLIKE, and I've done a ton of work in Ryzen Master with PB2, Manual and PBO, PBO+AutoOC testing.
I’ll just do a video, tried to capture it with images but I messed up or the bios changed settings or what ever. Maybe I just imagine it all, just very unexpected and kinda bazaar. If I can not replicate, will let you know.

Will most likely be the weekend.

BTW, I was looking at event logs on my own machine as I had an issue today, but it looks like Ryzen Master has a service that the event log referenced. So, you should be able to disable that service if you don't want the configuration to persist through a reboot.

BTW, I was looking at event logs on my own machine as I had an issue today, but it looks like Ryzen Master has a service that the event log referenced. So, you should be able to disable that service if you don't want the configuration to persist through a reboot.
Thanks, but this issue was from boot to boot into the bios never hitting the OS in-between - it was like an unwritten law was shattered in that the bios did not control the motherboard hardware any longer. I don't see this as being a big issue, just the one other case I came across by accident. I hate using OS software to change hardware level settings anyways - I've always had bad experiences with this from ASUS software, Gigabyte as well as MSI for one reason or another.

Right up front -> Ryzen Master overrides bios memory settings that even changing bios settings and saving them, even clearing the cmos, what you set in Ryzen Master turns up what is being set at after the initial setting of the bios. o_O After stabilizing system and getting into windows and changing Ryzen Master settings I confirmed that bios changes of parameters set by Ryzen Master cannot be altered with the bios.

Sounds crazy, well it is but that is what I ran up against. Had memory set at 3600 16,16,16,16,36 using Ryzen Master, passing memtest Pro and was over 300% which I like to go to at least 400% with zero errors. Took wife out to dinner but it was obvious we had a power surge/outage when we came back. Computer would not reboot, famous C5 error with ASUS (memory), reset cmos and got into the bios and set with profile, would not reboot. Did safe boot option on C6H. A number of repeats, C5 C5 C5 C5 . . . getting into bios and was able to get back into the bios after profile for 3200mhz memory and load and behold - the memory was at 3600! What was set with Ryzen Master, it totally ignored what I put into the bios. Of course it will not train the memory during a cold boot and the reason for the repeated C5's and Od (not sure what that is).

The only way I was able to get into Windows when this happen was reset the cmos (this is with ASUS bios and C6H)
  1. used safe boot switch and reset switch if needed
  2. the ASUS bios will prompt to go to settings, hit f1, once in the bios do not save anything just escape out of it and boot into windows
    1. This will be at reduced ram speeds but stable
  3. open up Ryzen Master and change the ram speed and timings and hit apply which will reboot the machine and your new settings will be in the bios not under the settings box but the actual state reading. The inputted setting will be there but the actual will be from Ryzen Master.
    1. I do believe if set to Auto in Ryzen Master you will gain control back with inputted bios settings, have not tested that yet
Still not sure what to think, will have to do some double checking to see if I am looking at this wrong.

Hello, can you please please help me? I am stuck with this same issue.

Mobo: X399 Meg creation
Ram: F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR
Processor: 2990wx
Psu: Corsair 1000rx

Whenever I turn on my PC I get error code C5. Unfortunately, I can't even get to the bios most the time. The screen is completely back and I am left with error code "C5" which then gets replaced by error code "od".

I took this board to MSI service center, that guy told me to buy a compatible RAM. But I have been using my ram for a month now, why is it causing me trouble now?

It all started with that stupid sleep mode. Once I was back home I couldn't wake up the Pc. After rebooting the system I got C5 error code. It's been more than 5 days, PLEASE HELP. :(

Whenever I turn on my PC I get error code C5. Unfortunately, I can't even get to the bios most the time. The screen is completely back and I am left with error code "C5" which then gets replaced by error code "od".

I took this board to MSI service center, that guy told me to buy a compatible RAM. But I have been using my ram for a month now, why is it causing me trouble now?

It all started with that stupid sleep mode. Once I was back home I couldn't wake up the Pc. After rebooting the system I got C5 error code. It's been more than 5 days, PLEASE HELP. :(

Have you cleared the CMOS to see if you can get back to posting? C5 seems to be memory related, and your modules are not on the qualified list for the 2xxx Threadripper on that board (but the C17 version is). If CMOS clearing doesn't work, try one stick of memory until you can get it to boot, then see if you can loosen up the timings and get more sticks working.

Are you fully up to date on the BIOS? That can also help with memory stability.

Have you cleared the CMOS to see if you can get back to posting? C5 seems to be memory related, and your modules are not on the qualified list for the 2xxx Threadripper on that board (but the C17 version is). If CMOS clearing doesn't work, try one stick of memory until you can get it to boot, then see if you can loosen up the timings and get more sticks working.

Thank you for replying.

The ram never works on A2, B2, C2, and D2. I can sometimes get it to work on remaining slots. Just one time I got the RAM to work on A2 but then there was BSOD as soon as I logged in. I have updated BIOS and even cleared CMOS again and again but nothing new is happening.

I have another unused 32GB kit at home. And just like the old kit it sometimes works on A1, B1, C1, D1.

Sometime the G.skill ram just doesn't work no matter on which slot I put the RAM in. To get around this issue I use that Adata ram which somehow resets the motherboard I think. Because after that I can get G.skill ram to work sometimes on A1, B1, C1, and D1.

The Adata ram worked completely fine one A2 slot, but after sometime it aslo started giving me C5 error. Since then I just cant get that Adata ram to work on A2, B2, D2, and C2. And just like the G.skill ram it sometimes work on the remaining slots.

Can you please tell me how I was able to use this RAM for a month? Why it has stopped working now? I think I should get the motherboard to service center again. I have seen people still running incompatible RAM on their systems. Or should I just get a compatible RAM? What if it doesn't work even after buying compatible RAM? I am so confused...

Screenshot_20190902-082211_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20190902-080702_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20190902-080249_Drive.jpgIMG-20190901-WA0000.jpeg

Last edited:

Can you read this please? This guy has a compatible ram but the same issue exists: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=309907.0

I took the board to msi service center. They told me that it was all all due to the rust that the C5 error was coming up. The rust was on the back side of the ram slots. They cleaned it and now it works perfectly :D

Become a Patron!
Back