Samsung 990 EVO Plus and 9100 PRO SSDs Listed in New Trademarks

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The 990 EVO Plus and 9100 PRO, two new consumer SSDs that will presumably leverage either the PCIe Gen 4 or Gen 5 interfaces, is currently in development at Samsung, according to new trademark filings that have surfaced from the Korea Intellectual Property Rights Information Service, a group that covers domestic and foreign industrial property information, including patents, utility models, trademarks, and more.

See full article...

Nice... maybe I'll get one 3 months after everyone else gets them to patch the problem that will be there at release. ;)

I hope they start focusing on raising the 4k random read speeds, as this ever increasing max bandwidth with little impact on actual system performance is getting tiring.

Give me something that performs more and more like an Intel Optane AIC and I will be a lot happier.

Last edited:
I hope they start focusing on rising the 4k random read speeds, as this ever increasing max bandwidth with little impact on actual system performance is getting tiring.

Give me something that performs more and more like an Intel Optane AIC and I will be a lot happier.
What you want is effectively an HBA controller that you can slot in a 32 gig cache memory module into and a pair of PCIE Gen whatever NVME drives. Run them as a raid 1 on a good controller in a PCIE X 8 slot and you'll have your speed.

Speaking from a server specific standpoint a good raid controller in front of even a set of 8 NVME drives running at pcie 4 will get you some nice random read numbers. Only catch is to truly test it your test size will need to exceed the cache value. :) Otherwise the results are not realistic and will pretty much be the same regardless of disk type.

Recently went through some rounds of testing to find out some good results for SQL because Other than BLOB data our dataset LOVES 4k random reads.

Become a Patron!
Back