Samsung Begins Mass Production of PCle 5.0 SSD with Industry’s Highest Performance and Largest Capacity

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The PM9E1, a new PCIe 5.0 SSD that is said to be the highest performing and largest capacity of its kind in the industry, built on Samsung's in-house 5-nanometer-based controller and eighth-generation V-NAND (V8) technology, is now in mass production, Samsung Electronics has announced.

See full article...

Samsung is always late to the game with a new generation interface, and then proceeds to be among the best performers of the generation (in the consumer space) once they do launch.

Will be interesting to see how much (if any) the 4k Random performance improves over previous gen.

I'd almost always choose a current previous Gen PCIe Samsung drive over most other manufacturers current Gen PCIe drives.

What I mean by that is that Is choose a Gen4 990 Pro over almost any Gen5 drive on the market. It was the same when Gen4 was new, and Samsung still only had Gen3 drives. Especially all of those uninspiring rebranded Phison reference design drives. The first drives on the market for a new gen usually have of sequential performance, but little else. And that performance tends to come at the cost of rather high power use and heat.

Last edited:
I'm mostly interested in two things:

• Heat - this is mostly annoying because it's not a lot of heat, but if left unchecked it will affect performance
  • Sustained, top-end performance - most PCIe5 SSDs are using overclocked PCIe4 controllers, essentially, giving rise to the heat problem above while also not maxing out the interface; this is where Samsung's new controller should also help
As for the other metrics, that will depend on what sacrifices or improvements were made to the NAND flash. Entirely possible to blow us away, or for this new generation to be more of a side-grade depending on intended end use.

This might be the first generation of NVME drives I skip if there isn’t much increase in 4k random. I bought a 4TB 990 pro for games, and shifted my old game drive ( 2TB 980pro ) to an OS drive. I don’t need more space, and I don’t really know how I would take advantage of more drives.

This might be the first generation of NVME drives I skip if there isn’t much increase in 4k random. I bought a 4TB 990 pro for games, and shifted my old game drive ( 2TB 980pro ) to an OS drive. I don’t need more space, and I don’t really know how I would take advantage of more drives.
I also don't know how most copnsumers take advantage of high sequential speeds, other than the novelty.

I mean, how often do you really copy large files back and forth between latest PCIe Gen drives anyway? Especially considering how limited PCIe lanes are on modern motherboards.

Become a Patron!
Back