Seagate Lists Mach.2 Exos 2X14, the World’s Fastest HDD

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
seagate-mach.2-graphic-1024x576.jpg
Image: Seagate

Seagate has listed the world’s fastest hard disk drive, the 14 TB Exos 2X14. While its performance is still no match for the average SSD, the Exos 2X14 flaunts twice the performance of a traditional enterprise HDD thanks to its dual-actuator Mach.2 technology, which enables a max sustained transfer rate of 524 MB/s, 304/384 random read/write IOPS, and average latency of 4.16 ms. Seagate’s Mach.2 Exos 2X14 consumes higher power than other high-capacity helium-filled rives, however: users can expect consumption of 7.2 watts in idle mode and up to 13.5 watts under heavy load.

Seagate’s Exos 2X14 14TB hard drive is essentially two 7 TB HDDs in one standard hermetically sealed helium-filled 3.5-inch chassis. The drive features a 7200 RPM spindle speed, is equipped with a 256 MB multisegmented...

Continue reading...

The fastest horse drawn carriage.

That isn't bad for a spinner. But it's still no SSD. I don't know what market this is for? Looks like it's more or less just RAID1 in a single package... especially since the OS can seethe drive as two separate devices. If there is any cost difference between this and a traditional HDD it will be too much really.

Yeah... RAID0 though, as it's 2 7TB assemblies in 1 housing..

Interesting for NAS storage though, as the increased speed would be very welcomed.

That isn't bad for a spinner. But it's still no SSD. I don't know what market this is for? Looks like it's more or less just RAID1 in a single package... especially since the OS can seethe drive as two separate devices. If there is any cost difference between this and a traditional HDD it will be too much really.

I doubt this is aimed at consumer use. More like enterprise SAN / NAS. Double throughput would be welcome there, to unload the SSD caches that much faster.

Biggest issue with spinning mass storage is that it's actually dangerous when the speed of being able to get data off of the drives is so small relative to their storage capacity.

Unfortunately Seagate isn't really changing the equation as they're adding risk with speed.

Biggest issue with spinning mass storage is that it's actually dangerous when the speed of being able to get data off of the drives is so small relative to their storage capacity.

Unfortunately Seagate isn't really changing the equation as they're adding risk with speed.
I don't follow..

I don't follow..
They've made it basically RAID-0 in a single drive. So yeah, they've increased the speed, but they've added moving parts and further complexity too- so they've reduced the risk by speeding the drive up, and then added that risk back in because they've increased the speed by adding complexity.

There are certainly usecases for this product but it's not a 1:1 improvement over current spinners. You're still going to want to mitigate risk similarly, and you can get the same performance by simply adding more drives, if that's what's needed.

They've made it basically RAID-0 in a single drive. So yeah, they've increased the speed, but they've added moving parts and further complexity too- so they've reduced the risk by speeding the drive up, and then added that risk back in because they've increased the speed by adding complexity.

There are certainly usecases for this product but it's not a 1:1 improvement over current spinners. You're still going to want to mitigate risk similarly, and you can get the same performance by simply adding more drives, if that's what's needed.

I understand what you are saying here. By moving more parts in a single enclosure you're increasing the risk of a multi drive failure taking out your raid array. I get it. But if you are runntiered storage and your use of thet space has grown so much you don't have enough drive SAS space and you need more space in the same footprint this may be a double boon. But honestly unless you're a small business you'll just drop 500k on new storage that is full of dense ssd and never look back.

But if you are runntiered storage and your use of thet space has grown so much you don't have enough drive SAS space and you need more space in the same footprint this may be a double boon.
Why would you get this over, say, an 18 or 20 TB HDD that are already out/announced? Or even a standard 14TB? That would have as much or more capacity per drive, doesn't show up and have to be managed as dual drives, and it doesn't have dual control arms to wreck your data.

Why would you get this over, say, an 18 or 20 TB HDD that are already out/announced? Or even a standard 14TB? That would have as much or more capacity per drive, doesn't show up and have to be managed as dual drives, and it doesn't have dual control arms to wreck your data.

I missed that it's two controllers too? Yea that's out. Useless to me.

Being that I am at consumer level, I don’t care about speed so much, more about space and reliability.
The dual actuation makes me pause a bit. Sounds like an added variable towards failure potentially.

Being that I am at consumer level, I don’t care about speed so much, more about space and reliability.
The dual actuation makes me pause a bit. Sounds like an added variable towards failure potentially.

And the fact you would need special custom connectors... So this isn't even for the consumer market.

Yeah... RAID0 though, as it's 2 7TB assemblies in 1 housing..

Interesting for NAS storage though, as the increased speed would be very welcomed.
Too much loss. I'd rather get 8 6TB drives from the price and have 40TB usable space, than 3 of these and have 28TB.
Besides I Don't relish the idea of replacing all my net gear to 10G ones, and for 1G network any old spinner will do.

Become a Patron!
Back