Sealed Copy of The Legend of Zelda Sells for $870,000 at Auction

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
the-legend-of-zelda-nes-heritage-auctions-28030-1024x576.jpg
Image: Heritage Auctions

Initially released on February 21, 1986 for the Family Computer Disk System, Nintendo’s first Zelda game, The Legend of Zelda, is an unforgettable classic that spawned a major gaming franchise and captured the hearts of countless gamers. The original game is so highly regarded, in fact, that one collector with deep pockets paid $870,000 this week for a sealed, 1987 copy of the game. Sold on Dallas, Texas-based auction site Heritage Auctions and described as a “true grail among games,” this particular copy of The Legend of Zelda is extremely rare in that it’s a variant stemming from one of the game’s earliest production runs, which only lasted for a few months. The Legend of Zelda’s $870,000 auction beats that of the previous record attained by Super Mario Bros., which auctioned for $660,000.

[…] This is the only copy...

Continue reading...

Really angry with the child version of myself for opening his copy and then actually playing it. He really screwed me over big time.

I don't understand how nostalgia makes this worth so much. It's literally a asset that is Mas produced and made to be copied. It would probably cost.less today to produce a system in a cart that could play this game.

Become a Patron!
Back