Somebody Installed Crysis 3 on Their GeForce RTX 3090’s VRAM (24 GB), and It Runs Great

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
crysis-3-key-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: Crytek

This shouldn’t come as a shock to anyone who’s familiar with software such as RAMDisk, but you can, in fact, install games onto your graphics card. Strife212 demonstrated this curious storage arrangement over the weekend by installing Crysis 3 directly onto NVIDIA’s new BFGPU, the GeForce RTX 3090.

With the help of prsyahmi’s GpuRamDrive (which you can grab at GitHub), she was able create a virtual disk using a portion of the GeForce RTX 3090’s relatively generous 24 GB of VRAM. Then it was just a matter of installing Crytek’s game.

“I used some VRAMdrive software called GPU Ram Drive, made a 15GB NTFS partition on the GPU, then installed Crysis 3 on it,” Strife explained...

Continue reading...

I've used RamDrive's for years. I never realized there was software allowing you to use the VRAM for that purpose as well.

That's pretty impressive even if it didn't make the most sense to do it that way.
Yes, this doesn't make sense to do it this way. The game would need to be programmed to be aware that it is already in VRAM to gain any benefit, otherwise you're just adding another stopping point in the loop of data moving in and out of system memory. Would make more sense to install it to a RAM disk on system memory, instead.

Become a Patron!
Back