Sony Acquires Anime Streaming Giant Crunchyroll for $1.175 Billion

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
crunchyroll-logo-orange-background-1024x576.jpg
Image: Crunchyroll

We previously reported that Sony Pictures was interested in taking over Crunchyroll to further its ambitions in the lucrative anime market, and today, the entertainment giant made things official by announcing its intent to purchase the world’s biggest and most successful anime streaming service from AT&T for $1.175 billion.

While the transaction is still subject to regulatory approvals, Crunchyroll is expected to join Sony’s Funimation Global Group and bolster its preexisting streaming service with a massive...

Continue reading...

I didn't even know Anime streaming was a market!

You learn something every day.

I knew Crunchyroll was a thing, but didn't know anyone watched it.

Yes, we all know you're old.
And that's why we love ya 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨.

I watched Akira once in the 90's.

I didn't like it.

It was a confusing disjointed impossible to follow mess.

I'm one of the rare geeks that has little to no interest in Anime. It's not my geekdom.

I'm well aware I am in the minority here though.

I just wasnt aware that there were dedicated streaming services for it. I just figured it would be mixed in with more general content on Netflix and the like.

I watched Akira once in the 90's.

I didn't like it.

It was a confusing disjointed impossible to follow mess.

I'm one of the rare geeks that has little to no interest in Anime. It's not my geekdom.

I'm well aware I am in the minority here though.

I just wasnt aware that there were dedicated streaming services for it. I just figured it would be mixed in with more general content on Netflix and the like.
Don't worry, Netflix has it's own teams dedicated to producing anime content in addition to hosting it from other production companies. Content streaming is kind of getting to the point where if it exists, there is a market for it.

Become a Patron!
Back