Sony Confirms Closure of PlayStation Store on PS3, PS Vita, and PSP Devices This Summer

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
sony-playstation-vita-hands-1024x576.jpg
Image: Sony

Sony has confirmed that it’ll be closing the PlayStation Store for the PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, and PSP (PlayStation Portable) devices this summer. The PlayStation Store for PS3 and PSP will remain open until July 2, 2021, while the PlayStation Store for the PS Vita will remain open until August 27, 2021. PS3, PS Vita, and PSP users will still be able to access and re-download previously purchased content, however.

Features you will still be able to access:• You will still be able to re-download and play previously purchased game titles.• You will still be able to access previously purchased video/media content.• You will still be able to redeem game and PlayStation Plus vouchers.• You will still be able to re-download and play claimed game titles through PlayStation Plus as long as you remain a member of the service.Features you will lose access...

Continue reading...

Been looking for a Vita for a while now on and off, sems rarer then GPU's even second hand.

Now I have a strong urge to stock up on classic Playstation games for my Vita (or homebrew the hell out of it). I was on a stint up north for work and was traveling quite frequently, the Vita was easily my most used gaming device (had to hibernate the PC due to insane Arctic data caps).

I dunno how I feel about this decision - is it that costly to keep the old storefronts going? Especially if they're still going to allow re-downloads of purchased software anyway?

Now I got the official email from Sony. I need to check if there's anything I still need to grab for PS3.

Been looking for a Vita for a while now on and off...
Now I have a strong urge to stock up on classic Playstation games for my Vita (or homebrew the hell out of it).
After rollin' with a soft-modded PSP for years, I had a strong urge to do the same with a PS Vita for a long time now. Just never had funds to put towards a PS Vita. I'm definitely getting the OLED model when I do finally find myself in a position to get one. I will also soft-mod my Switch at some point (thank you hardware Tegra flaw that can't be closed with firmware).

I dunno how I feel about this decision - is it that costly to keep the old storefronts going? Especially if they're still going to allow re-downloads of purchased software anyway?
Exactly what I was wondering.

This is more about trying to prod the users to go to a newer platform to buy more expensive games there.

Newer platform needs to be available then, more like the old hardware sells so little games it's not worth keeping it around, I would asume that most who still buy the old stuff are collectors who will go for mostly physical collections.

Become a Patron!
Back