Sony Isn’t Completely Sold on Cloud Gaming Yet: “The Technical Difficulties Are High”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Microsoft has seemingly bet the entire Xbox farm on cloud gaming, but it looks like PlayStation won't be following suit. In a new interview published today by the Financial Times, Sony Chairman and CEO Kenichiro Yoshida expressed caution regarding cloud gaming technology, claiming that it remains "very tricky" from a technical standpoint. While Sony has obviously invested already in different possibilities for streaming games, including projects that include GT Sophy, Sony's artificial intelligence agent, Yoshida's remarks would suggest that Sony's current focus lies with evaluating options and refining its approach before fully committing to cloud gaming.

See full article...

Difference is... MS can afford to risk the farm on Cloud gaming and invest whatever they need to, in order to make it right.

I mean heck... MS's market cap is greater than Canada or freaking Russia.

We're quickly approaching a time where these companies will have their own paramilitary police forces to protect their assets and be granted Extraterritoriality type rights for their wholly owned assets.

"May I see your drivers license."

"Afraid not officer, as a Microsoft Leve C employee I have exemption from state laws."

I tried Xbox Cloud at a friend's house on his 9th-gen Xbox (forget if it was XBSS or XBSX), and it was surprisingly very good. However my friend pointed out that both the Microsoft servers and the Verizon FiOS backbone were very close by to his house. Anyways streaming - be it videos or games - is definitely not for me. So I don't give a sh1t if game companies don't wanna invest in it. There are wiser ways for them to spend their money.

I mean heck... MS's market cap is greater than Canada or freaking Russia.
What tha fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck...

Also don't forget Microsoft has a massive investment in Azure (and Government Azure). So it's in their interest to have a highly distributed, geofenced, high speed, cloud presence with full redundancy. I mean heck it's probably considered a QOS watermark to monitor the Xbox cloud streaming performance for complaints to get ahead of any issues before an enterprise customer would notice them. Because NOBODY bitches like a FPS player who got killed because "IT WAS THE GAME YOU SUCK!".

Become a Patron!
Back