Sony to Gradually Cease Production of Optical Disc Storage Media, including Blu-ray Discs

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Sony, the Japanese electronics giant that is partially known for developing the Blu-ray digital optical disc format, is cutting 250 jobs from its recordable media business, according to a new report from Japan's The Mainichi that explains how the company will begin ceasing production of optical disc storage media products, including Blu-ray discs, as part of its latest business plans.

See full article...

No more BD-R and BD-RE discs huh? I actually have a BD burner, but I have never ever burned a BD, because blank BDs are expensive as f*ck. And these aren't the days of CDs and DVDs, where we didn't have giant-@ss HDD or NASes, or large-capacity flash drives. Back then I and everyone I knew were storing all their sh1t on CDs and then DVDs. But that was a very long time ago. HDD price-per-GB and flash drive sizes + speeds over the last many years have eliminated the need for burning discs, which are also slow. Flash drives are a lot more durable than optical media too. Almost no one I know uses optical media of any kind anymore, especially for personal storage. Everyone has NASes, servers, big-@ss hard drives, and large flash drives.

At least blank CDs and DVDs got super-cheap back in the day. Blank BDs never ever got to the point where they were cost-effective, let alone cheap. I like physical media, but writable/rewritable BDs are all but useless in this day and age.

Last edited:
I've had a BD burner for roughly 15 years and didn't burn a single disc with it. 25GB or even DL 50GB was not much even by 2010 standards, especially considering that a blank disc was what €15-20? Writeable CDs on the other hand bottomed out at 30 cents if I recall correctly. But even at that price their capacity and lack of durability made them obsolete. I completely ditched optical media as even backups by 2010.

Become a Patron!
Back